I

1 // MIAMI
"why does the world revolve around money?"

Jimin sits on the vacant seat of the train.

he pushes himself back into the uncomfortable seating place of a train that's old, overused and convenient. cold, ringed and skilled hands rest on either side of him as he dusts away any dirt. he strokes the soft skin around his reddened fingers for a few seconds- he likes the blistering feeling of the warmth under his rings. Jimin places his backpack between his feet, eyes concentrating out of the window as he waits for the vehicle to begin its journey.

sure, he pays attention to the people around him- he stays conscious when he needs to, staying silent when someone sits next to him and watching passengers arrive at every stop. who'll be joining him today morning?

he's a people person. Jimin is the kind of person who smiles back, says please and thank you, opens doors for other people- he's genuine, friendly but also misunderstood. even as he sits on the train, mind boggled with dusty thoughts like the physical aspect of the train, he watches people arrive and leave boisterously. he doesn't analyse, he just observes.

does anyone observe me?- the young male thinks, suddenly conscious of his appearance. Jimin fixes the flat hair on his head, running his hands repeatedly through brown locks in an attempt to lift his unwashed mop.

watcher Jimin is on his way to a babysitting job. it's not exactly what he saw himself doing in the future but here he is, this is what he feels he deserves after not settling and messing. it's the only income he's being provided with, thanks to his older cousin and his sons. looking after the two young boys is bearable, difficult at times but they listen to him so that's good.

Jimin enjoys the train ride to his cousins canvas filled home- it's short and at quiet times of the day, late morning and early afternoon when people are still at work or studying. he'd rather be alone, drowning in the comfort of his earphones or the scenery trapped by the dirty, smudged windows. he notices petty teenagers start to draw images.

Jimin straightens out his legs in front of him with a yawn leaving his pink lips- he always forgets to cover his mouth. he didn't get much sleep last night. certain things have kept him awake and even when he's tired, his wakeful mind is working behind eyes that want to sleep. the boy stretches for too long and realises the stranger in front of him is bothered by his invasion of space.

Jimin retaliates, moving his skinny legs away but not apologising. he shoves his hands into the pockets of his denim jacket as he wonders why he wore such a thin article of clothing. he looks outside of the window to see it fogging up with coldness, trees swaying.

the train comes to a stop and Jimin pauses his music. he realises they've arrived at his destination and he plays the music again- only when he's certain it's at the right stop.

Jimin lets people push past him, allowing them to jump into the reasonable, unavoidable queue as everyone rushes to leave the transport that feels suffocating but cheap enough to survive and travel for distant jobs. he jumps off the train, earphones almost falling out of his ears as he heads in the short direction of his cousins house.

//

"just a month before the boys are off to school. time flies by i swear." Jaehyun- Jimin's cousin shakes his head, a small smile on his lips as he closes the door. his kids are having their nap after an eventful day and it's time for Jimin to take the train back as always.

Jimin didn't want such a good day to end on a bad note. Jaehyun may be smiling at the sight of his children growing up but his younger cousin is frowning. Jimin doesn't want the kids to grow up, mainly because he won't have a job anymore. he was so reliant on this babysitting job- it started to not feel like a job anymore. it's bad enough that his family member has to pay him with money.

Jimin nods and avoids eye contact. he doesn't want Jaehyun to get the wrong idea- he's really appreciative of his generosity and familial kindness. he's just stressed now. where is he going to find a job? one he can bare? enjoy?

Jaehyun smiles because he notices Jimin's quick, sullen mood. he can read his body language easily- slumped shoulders, busy distractions and the obvious avoidance of looking or speaking to him. "but i'm going to get you somewhere else to work." the older pats his shoulder, reassurance flooding in a pair of eyes that everyone loves. "as a teaching assistant at my school."

Jimin can't possibly work at his cousins school. firstly, everyone would know that the principal is his family member. secondly, kids aren't exactly his forte. with his cousins, he can be comfortable in his humour and manner- tell them off and make inside jokes. stranger kids are a new territory. thirdly, he doesn't have any experience in that field- won't people judge? "nah man."

Jimin flicks his hand, feeling thankful for the offer regardless. "you shouldn't do that." but then again, the boy is desperate and finding a job isn't something that is easy to obtain.

"i'm the headteacher there, i can do as i please." Jaehyun says sternly. Jimin is suddenly taken aback by the facade he must play as a principal. is this what he's like? he wants kind, smiling and intelligent Jaehyun back.

"i know but-" Jimin feels bad.

"no buts. let me help you."

Jimin sighs. his cousin has given him so much help- more than his parents. he's the one person who's stuck around for him, promised he'll support him with their hands held but Jimin feels uneasy. "i don't want to trouble you."

"you never have mate." Jaehyun pushes Jimin playfully.