Chapter 5

"Hey, Garnet. Any updates on how Midnight doing?" Garnet placed a hand on her hip as she looks around, "everything seems fine and yet I can sense this dark present looming over her." Steven gave her a worried look, "is it a gem we need to worry about?" Garnet shook her head, "I don't know my future vision can't tell who or what is causing this dark energy." Steven thought about it as he paced back and forth through the living room, "we know that she is a pearl... a Black Pearl to be exact. But the question is who did she serve before her memory got wiped?" Garnet sat down on the couch as she thought about this mystery, "as far as I know there aren't really any fully black colored gems. Maybe gray or some aspects of black coloring but not fully."

Steven knew Garnet was right about this statement, "that's true. Plus, usually, a pearl has the same features and colors as the higher up they serve. Going off that, then we can somewhat get an idea on who she served." Garnet placed a hand on her chin as she tries to connect the dots, "with her memory coming in fragments all we can do is rely on her. In hopes that she recovers enough fragments in order to fully recover her memory." Steven sat down next to Garnet as confusion build up inside him, "I just don't get it. Her memory is in fragments, has a nickname, and doesn't remember anything before the gem war. So that at least 5,000 years worth of memories that vanished  into thin air." 

Garnet placed a hand on Steven's shoulder, "don't worry Steven, we'll find a way to help her. We just have to pay attention to her actions and help her recover her memories." Steven smiled a Garnet and thought about Midnight, "She always seems to wander off alone, mainly to sit by the shore at night. Even when I met her the first time, it was on the shore at night. So she must have a memory or something that keeps drawing her to come out at night and head for the beach." Garnet nodded her head in agreement, "there's only one way to find out. That is to follow her if she heads out tonight."

Later that night...

Midnight nervously made her way out of the house and walked down the wooden stairs. As Steven and the crystal gems watched her from a distance. Amethyst rolled her eyes while eating a bag of chips, " why are spying on her again?" Pearl made a face at Amethyst, "we're spying on her to find out why she keeps sneaking out at night and going to the beach." Steven made a face at them, "shh, something is happening." Midnight waved her hand as her fans appeared in her hand. Slowly she started to dance as a glowing white ring appears in the sand at her feet. *remember ... I must remember who that voice belongs to. I have to find that voice.*  Midnight summoned her gem weapon and slowly started to dance.

*remember! You must ... have to remember!* A tear ran down her eye as she falls to her knees and punched the sand at her feet. "Why? Why I can't remember anything!?" Steven stood up from his hiding place and was about to walk over to Midnight. Who picked up her fan and made it vanish into sparks of light along with  the  white circle  that was at her feet. "Midnight?" In shock, the Pearl jumped back when she saw Steven, "St - Steven? What are you doing, here? Why are you here?" Steven gave her a confused look as the silence grew between them before he spoke, "I wanted to ask you the same question." Midnight hugged her arms as a gentle cool night breeze blew around them, "I thought by dancing and using my powers ...  I remember how to use them ... I can regain my memories. " 

Steven gave her a comforting smile, " Midnight, you will regain your memories. It will just take some time to figure out what caused it." Midnight shook her head at Steven, "no! the longer I wait ... I will forget everything ... I will forget my friend, the voice!"   Steven held her hand as she trembles in fear. Using his power he tries to calm Midnight down as he held her hand that her gem on it. He was in shock when he hears the voice that Midnight has been talking about. It was a calm, gentle, and comforting voice that sang out and seems like it is calling out to him. But he was in shock when he saw a vision of darkness as he hears the voice.  In shock, Steven let go of Midnight's hand as he backed away from her. "you heard it? You heard the voice."

 Steven nodded his head yes, "I did ... and this voice... has been calling out to you?" Midnight looks up into the night sky and gazes up at stars above them.  "I like to believe that I can sense  where the voice is. But it always feels so far away and somehow I know if I can find the voice. I can regain my lost memories and know who I was in the past." Steven remembered how she reacted when he mentioned the other gems to her and wonder if she remembers anything. "I know you are nervous but do you have anything against the crystal gems?" Midnight looked at Steven with a serious look, "
" Aside  from  the  songs and voice in my head. All I remember is that they are the reason why I can't remember anything and was trap here on earth for thousands of years."

Steven's  quickly took a deep breath and try to remain  calm. "Midnight? Is there anything you can remember that may help you find out who you are?" Midnight thought for a moment as she looks up at the moon in the night sky.

Flashback begins...

Images of the moon base flash through Midnight's mind as y hears the voice again.  As she walks down the halls of the moon base while the voice ranged out through the halls. She smiles to herself and soon started to dance along to the song the voice was singing. 

Flashback ends...

"The moon... the moon!? The moon base? There must be something there that is connected to my memories  somehow." Steven gave her a reassuring smile, "ok, that's a good start. We can head off to the moon base and see what we can find there in the morning, alright?"