Chapter 19

Steven thought for a moment as he paced back and forth across the room, "ok, we got a new soldier gem that serves Black Diamond and his pearl, Midnight? Ugh, why can't any of this make any sense!?" Pearl thought about their interactions with Midnight, "maybe Midnight gave us hints without realizing it with the way she reacted?" Garnet thought for a moment and nodded her head in agreement, "she most likely did with how upset she was." Peridot pulled up a hologram computer screen that had Black Diamonds' picture on it. "ok, let's try filling in the holes here, we know Black is White's partner but something happened to cause him to disappear for  thousands of years."  

Pearl walked up to the screen as she remembers what Midnight said and her reactions. "Her friend or Black Diamond got in a almost gem shattering accident that almost killed him." Steven tapped the screen and made a note of this and started connceting the dots. "It seemed like he healed and came back but when he did. He got corrupted into the snake monster we had to fight back in the caves." Lapis  shook her head as she thought back to the battle, "she panicked when you stood on the diamond crest and released him. Plus, jugding by her reaction ... she locked him up in that cave herself and had to fight off her own diamond. " Steven look at the timeline the were creating and realized the truth, "the corruption light! The gem war!"

 Everyone stood there in shock at what Steven said as he explains, "he was there when the light went off on everyone!"  Pearl shook her head in disagreement, "Steven, that can't be possible because none of us saw him during the war." Peridot gave a nervous look as an idea popped in her head, "maybe he was there but when he disappeared   for some reason then got hit ny the corruption light. White Diamond did mess with everyone's memories and wiped him out completely. If we take that into account then Black was certianly there  since we saw and fought his corupted form." Everyone was confused about this puzzle until all of them saw Midnight appear in the teleporter.  Lapis quickly bend some water into chains that wrapped around her and tied her down." 

Midnight said nothing as she was tied up and look at Steven, "you were right... I should have told you everything from the start. Now, my diamond is hurting because of me. If I .. told you the story none this would have happened." Steven walked up to her as she sat there on the floor, "Midnight,  what's going on? We know some pieces but the most important piece is still missing. What caused Black andhis court to disappear?" Midnight look down in sadness, " that story... I assume White made everyone forget  that story. Even if I am Black Diamond's pearl ... I am sure she programmed a counter so no speaks of this story. Even if they don't remember and had Black erase from their memories as a last line of defense so no one knows."

Steven gestured to Lapis and she let her go as Midnight started to explained what happed. "It was during the gem war, The black court was on a ship heading towards Earth when - ahh!" Midnight yelled in pain when her gem suddenly glowed white and Steven ran to her side, "Midnight!?" Pearl took her hand and saw the color fading and slowing turning her white, "it's White mind control power!"  Midnight pulled her hand away and stood up with deterimation in her eyes, "I have to talk ... I am not staying silent any longer! We were on a mission to recover and heal injuried gem soldiers since our court provides healing technology!" Everyone stood there in shock as they watched  Midnight telling the truth but she was turning into a puppet. 

"There was so many injuried gems we mistaken some crystal gems troops for our own and took them aboard our ship to get medical attention! But when she saw what we were doing... she mistaken us for kiddnapping her troops and attacked us!" Everyone held their breaths as the only thing left black was her hair that was already turning snow white.  "We try to escape and fly away but our ship was shot down and we crashed!" Steven started glowing pink as he hears this and ran up to her, "who shot you down!? Who attacked you!?"  Midnight glared at Steven and the others as the last strands of her hair turned snow white, "Rose Qu - ahh!" She yelled in pain as she was fully turned into a puppet as her eyes gave a lifeless look.

 Steven held her as he screamed out to her as he glows pink, "Midnight!?"  She bend her arms out to a 'v' shaped postion as her hands remained flat, "greets everyone, do you wish to see or know about White Diamond?" Amethyst gave her a scared look, "oh snap! Dude, she's a puppet! Guys, Black Diamond's pearl  is a puppet! What do we do!?"   Pearl try to keep calm as she sees Midnight, "ok, no one panic! We just have to talk to White to reverse this, right?" Amethyst made a face at her as she points at Midnight, "hello! White not going to reverse this! She locked herself up in her room ever since Black showed up!"   Steven breathing rapidly increasing as  he realised what Midnight was saying before she was fully turned to a puppet.

"We need to see Black Diamond, right now." Garnet placed a hand on Steven's shoulder as she tries to help him calm down, "Steven, I don't think that's a good idea especially since Midnight is a puppet now." Steven look at and walked up to Midnight, " she knows where he is and can take us to him but how when -!?" Steven frozen when felt the bone chilling air around him and saw something outside.  Quickly he ran outside and couldn't believe his eyes when he went down to the stairs.  Sitting in the sand by the ocean was a large black panther that stared at Steven.  

( What the cat looks like)

If image is  unviable

https://www.deviantart.com/skywardsword25/art/Black-Diamond-s-Panther-817160384

This cat had white diamonds pattern on the end on its tail and paws.  While his eyes where soild black with soild white pupils. But what caught Steven attention was the crest on its forhead, it was the diamond's crest. With all the diamonds crest and colors but what stand out  was the black diamond crest. It was a the top of the crest above the others completeling the crest in a star shape.  Steven slowly walked towards it as it stares at him, "hi, I am Steven Universe ... uh, I am not going to hurt you. I only want to ask if you are Black Diamond's cat or uh panther." The  panther nodded it's head yes  walked up to Steven and allowed him to pet his forhead where the crest  is. 

"Do you know where Black Diamond is? Can you please take us there?"  The panther looked up and saw Midnight walking towards Steven, "oh my, what is this creature?" The panther growled at Midnight and got ready to attack until Steven stood in front of it, "wait! It's Midnight or Black Pearl!  Don't attack!" Slowly the cat walked up and smelled Midnight to be sure it was her. It jumped back with a surprised and sad look when it realized it was Midnight. Steven look at him with a concern look, "we need to talk to Black Diamond ... please can you take us to him?" The panther  jumped and made a sink hole appeared in the ground in front of Steven. Who was hesitating to step close to the hole, "you want me to jump into that?" 

The panther  jumped in as Steven panicked, "wait, come back!?" Steven grabbed Midnight's hand and forced both of them to jump into the sink hole.  Darkness swallow them as the fell further down into the ground. But Steven quickly forced himself to slow down his fall and carried Midnight down so they can land safetly. When he saw a cave floor and the panther sitting in the center waiting for them to catch up.  Steven's eyes widen when he saw the white diamond patterns around him were glowing and lighting up the room. "You can light up your fur?  You must use this to see in the dark and at night." The panther walked up to Steven as the Black Diamond crest on it's forhead glowed. 

It turned it's head and shined the black diamond crest light  on a nearby tunnel.  Steven smiled when he realized what it meant, "Black Diamond is down that tunnel? Thank you for the help!" Steven dragged Midnight and ran down the tunnel  as fast as he could to get to Black Diamond.