Chapter 3

The mysterious Pearl slowly walked through the courtyard and up to the Rose Healing Springs.  She reached into a bag she was carrying and took out a water bottle, "How much longer do I - I live without you? How much is your voice going to haunt me?" She dipped the bottle into the water and filled it with the healing water.  "I figure you would be here." The pearl jumped in fright and dropped the bottle onto the ground. As she turns around to see Steven standing behind her, "how did you find me?" Steven gestured towards the fountain, "you mentioned something about healing a  broken gem and I assumed it's your gem.  The only thing that has healing powers is the fountain  aside from myself having the power."

Pearl only made a face at him, "if you're here to help me, you can't... no one can." Steven walked up to her and picked up the bottle, "there must be something I can do since you are here at mom's healing springs."  The pearl's jaw drop and stood there in shock, "your mother? But she ... How can-? That's not possible." 

Steven realizes that she doesn't know the truth about anything related to him and his mother. "You don't know, do you?" The pearl shook her head as she hugs her arms tightly, "know about what?" Steven stood there frozen in shock as she hears this, *how does she not know about me, mom, or anything related to the gems.* The pearl shook her head annoyance and took the bottle out of Steven's hand. "Look, I don't know what has happened here on this planet or homeworld for about a good  5,000  years ever since the start of the Gem War.  But I don't care what happened in the time frame! All I care about is finding my friend!" Tears threaten to run down this Pearl's only visible eye that wasn't covered by dark gray or almost black hair. 

Steven looked at her and finally understood why she was in pain, "you love this gem or person. You deeply care about them." Pearl dipped the bottle back into the water and refilled the bottle with the water. " Whenever I remember their voice ... I feel their kindness and compassion towards me for a brief second." Steven places a hand on her shoulder as he gave her a sad look, "I can help you... if you can come back to Little Homeworld with me. The gems and I can help you not only adapt to the ways of living here on Earth. But we can help your friend as well." The Pearl jumped in fear when she heard this name, "No! No one can help me! Not after being alone so long!"

When Steven heard this he quickly panicked but calm himself down. So he can help this Pearl in some way. She fell to her knees as tears ran down her eyes, "why I don't remember anything! Why I can't find my friend! Why I can't heal myself with the water I collected!" Steven sat down in front of her as she cries, "did White Diamond took control of you and took away your memories?" She nodded her head no, "no, all I remember is two songs that were sung by the same person. Since they had the same voice ... a calm, strong, and gentle voice. Yet it sounds like that voice is in pain and is sad." Steven remembers that some gems sing a song to express deep emotions to the people and gems around them.

Steven shrugs his shoulders at her, "if you remember a song than maybe we can help you base off that. " The Pearl stood up and walked away from him, "no, it's just a song. You can't solve my problems or find my friend through a song." Steven sighs at her and walked up to her, "just beam me into your gem. I can see your memories and maybe find out who or what caused this."  Pearl hesitated but held out her hand to Steven. Who was in shock to see her gem was a pitch-black pearl that was embedded into her hand.   But quickly shook her head no. "No! You can't help me! My memories are gone and I only  remembered my friend... the voice that sang to me."  Steven didn't know what to do since she was so scared and nervous. 

He licked his hand and grabbed Pearl's hand that had her gem. In shock, Pearl tried to pull her hand away, "what are you -?" Pink sparks an aura that appeared around both of them as Pearl froze in shock.  Steven took a deep breath and look at her, "everything will be ok... We can help you regain your memories and find your friend." Pearl calm down a little as  Steven let her hand go and back away from her. "I... I ... just  don't know what to do anymore." Steven gave her a gentle smile as he held out his hand to her, "it's alright if you don't know what to do. Cause that means you have time to grow. You are allowed to change however you please."  Pearl froze in shock when she heard this last phrase.

Memory flashback begins...

Pearl sat on the floor hugging her knees as she heard and saw someone sitting beside her. "I am sorry for failing my duties as a pearl and acted improperly in front of you and the court." Pearl was in shock to hear a gentle and comforting voice as the reply. "Pearl, I don't want you to act like all the other Pearls that only live to serve and obey any given order. You are still a living gem just like myself." Pearl quick got up and panicked, "but I can never -!" Before she can say another word, she was cut off with another reply. "Pearl, I  taught and show you many things because I want you to be more than what you are.  So you can actually live a life that you enjoy beyond obeying my orders." 

Pearl hugged her arms as she looks down to the ground, "I don't know what to do beyond doing what I am made for.   The gentle voice-only gave her one last reply, "it's alright if you don't know what to do. Cause that means you have time to grow. You are allowed to change however you please."

Memory flashback ends...

"Pearl? Pearl, are you okay?" Pearl snapped out of her trance and looked at Steven, "yes... yes, I am fine." Steven only gave her a worried look as he leads her back to the teleportal. So he can take her back to his home so she can get help.