Chapter 7

Back at the beach house...

Peridot out yelled out confusion at Steven, "Black Court? There was no Black court!" Steven paced back and forth as al of the crystal gems stared at him in confusion and concern. But he stood there and replaying that moment where Midnight lashed out and attacked him over and over again in his head. "There has to be one if Midnight reacted this way when Pearl and I found that mysterious mural at the moon base." Steven took out his phone and showed a picture of the mural to everyone as they froze in shock. Amethyst facepalmed herself in annoyance at the situation, "ugh, why does Midnight have to be such a drama queen? Can't you use your powers and bring her moral human side out?" 

Steven shook his head as he sighs at her, "no, she hates me power or gem... I think." Garnet held her chin as she thought about this for a moment, "perhaps she doesn't hate you, Steven. But  rather it was Rose that caused her to have this fearsome anger towards you." Steven thought for a moment and nodded in agreement, "That is most likely the case here. I wouldn't be surprised if mom caused another mess that ends up coming back to stab us in the back for revenge."  Lapis only gave a confused look to Steven, "okay, the only clues we have to go off of are the Black court, a mysterious mural, and the gem in the mural is who  Midnight served. That's not a lot to off of in order to solve this case." 

Garnet nodded her head in agreement, "it's not enough clues but maybe Pearl and Steven can tell us about there trip to the moon base. Maybe that can give us more clues to this case." Pearl shrugged her shoulders, "we already told you everything so I don't think there's anything more to tell." But Steven remembered how Midnight reacted to the murals, "White Diamond's mural! She looked up at it and she acted like she was in fear and pain. That's properly where she started to regain her memories." Peridot wrote down the clues on her hologram tablet and walked up to Steven, "if she had that type of reaction to seeing White Diamiand's mural it is a  high likely hood  that White Diamond is an important piece to this puzzle." 

Lapis looked at a photo at Midnight that Peridot had next to the list of clues on her tablet. "If she is a Black Pearl and the gem she serves has a mural at the moonbase. Then the only possible answer is that gem is a diamond!" Everyone's jaw dropped when they heard this as Lapis pointed to Midnight's photo again. "It's the only answer that makes sense! This gem has a jet black gemstone plus it's in the exact same spot on her head as White Diamond." Steven re-checked the mural and Midnight's photo and saw the point that Lapis made. "I don't know if this gem is another diamond but the so far ... it's the only lead we have." Amethyst walked up to Steven with a concerned look on her face, "hold up bro, we have no idea who this gem really is! So there's no way we can say that gem is a diamond!"

Steven sighs in defeat as he tries to piece together this puzzle, "are only leads is Midnight's reaction to White's mural and the higher up gem she served has a mural. If this gem is a diamond then we need to talk to the other diamonds about this." Peridot gave Steven a worried look, "but Steven what are you going to do about Midnight?" Steven gave a nervous look to everyone, "uh...  Pearl and I were kind of forced to poof her otherwise she might go on a rampage. So she is currently bubbled in the temple basement below us. " Pearl nodded in agreement, "Steven we can't keep her there. Plus, I doubt the diamonds will believe us if we question them about this so-called Black Court."

Steven rubbed the back of his neck as he tries to think of a solution, "the only way we can guarantee ourselves to get some type of answer from the diamonds is if we bring her to them." Pearl panicked when she heard this, "Steven! We can't do that! You saw how angry she is about her past and White Diamond! It will be a total disaster!" Steven glared at Pearl as he opens the door to head down to the temple basement, "we have no other option! She is the only proof we have of this whole Black Court mess if we go to the diamonds about it!" Garnet walked up to Steven before he went through the door, "Steven, if you are going to bring her to the diamonds then you must make a deal with her so she doesn't attack anyone."

Pearl walked pass Steven and headed down to the basement to retrieve Midnight's bubble. "I will go get her but be prepared if she tries anything. All of the other crystal gems prepared themselves and drew out their weapons as Pearl disappeared down the staircase.  After a few minutes has pass by which felt like hours as Pearl came up the stairs holding a pink bubble. That held a jet black pearl gem inside of it. Steven held his breath as Pearl popped the bubble and everyone saw the gem glowed silver. As the light formed a silhouette of Midnight and she reformed in front of everyone. "What? Where am - you poofed me!" Steven gave her a nervous look as she stands in front of him with anger boiling throughout her body. 

Pearl stood in front of her as she summons  her spear out of her gem, "is not like you gave us a choice in the matter, either we poof you or you'll shatter all of us." Midnight groans in annoyance as she looks past Pearl's shoulder and straight into Steven's eyes. "You found a piece to the puzzle and want me to confirm it?" Steven nodded his head yes at her, "we think White diamond is a major piece in this puzzle. So, we wanted to ask if you are willing to come with us to see her?" Midnight eyes widen in shock as she quickly summons her fan blades. But Lapis quickly bend the water from the nearby kitchen sink. "I don't think so!"

Into chains that wrapped around Midnight and pulled her down onto her knees. "Ahh! Seriously? What are you going to do to me now?" Steven glared at Midnight as he walks up to her, "are you willing to come with us to see the diamonds or not?" Midnight only gave him an annoyed look on her face, "uh, pretty sure my fan blades and your Lapis over there holding me down already answer that question." Garnet walked up to her and pinned her against the wall,  "enough! What do you have to gain from this!?" Midnight waved her free hand and the ground instantly shook as a small earthquake emerged.  Everyone was in shock and in panic while Lapis lose focus of the water chains she was controlling and let Midnight go. 

Once she was free she waved her hand again and the earthquake instantly stop. As anger builds up inside of him as Midnight stood there not even phased by them interrogating her. But she only walked up to Steven and knee down as he was sitting on the floor from the earthquake. "Like I said if you don't want anyone to get hurt, solve this mystery on your own." Steven didn't know why he felt that cold dark aura that Garnet was talking about earlier. But it was so strong that he can barely move and it made Midnight look and sound more intimidating. "We're all players in this game and I don't intend to lose."

Peridot couldn't take it anymore and use her powers to make metal forks, spoon, and knives to come flying out the kitchen cabinets and drying rack. with a wave of her hand, she caused all of them to fly straight towards Midnight. Who gasp in shock when five kitchen knives stabbed her in the back. While the other forks and spoons flew past her and hit a nearby wall. Midnight looked down at Steven with a look that wasn't filled with anger or hatred at all. Instead, it was a look of sadness and regret as a single tear fell down her visible eye. While she whispers under her breath before she poofs again,  "I am sorry... I am sorry I have failed you. I'll never stop this prayer leaving my lips. pl-." Before she can say another word she poofed in a cloud of silver smoke as her gem lays at Steven's feet.