How She Fell in Love

"Don't fall in love with an Aphrodite, they'll break your heart."

A well-known fact about Aphrodites was that they were heartbreakers. They were said to fall in and out of love so easily, some even had a new boyfriend/girlfriend every week, loving someone for a bit before smashing their heart to pieces and moving on to their next victim. They were only ever with someone to break their hearts or use them and people only got with them for their looks. 

When Brianna Moondust ran into the boy with the panda hat and his two "Parents" she didn't think much of him. He seemed too goofy, too immature, and even with him calling her his girlfriend, she couldn't say she felt the same for him. At most, she tolerated him and that was pretty much it. 

When she got to camp, she locked her eyes on the demigod she thought she could get the most out of. Xylo, son of Apollo. He was handsome, muscular, and strong. He also seemed like one of the main people at camp. How could she not go after him? She did so wholeheartedly, even daring to make a love potion to use on him. 

Meanwhile, she tolerated the attentions of Austin. He was becoming a constant in her life, following her around, trying to get her attention. Honestly, he was like a hyperactive puppy and she didn't really mind. Sure, she would get annoyed but he still kept coming back and so she got more and more used to his presence.

Then the ball came, Bryan betrayed her, he took the one she had set her eyes on. But what made her even angrier for some reason was when he tried to get Austin as well. He had already taken one thing from her, she wasn't going to let him to take her only constant. 

Later, when the whole love potion thing was revealed and Xylo yelled at her, she felt touched as Austin defended her from his own brother. Even after ignoring him, he still defended her? She didn't understand. She couldn't. But as she went to sleep in her cabin that night, her dreams were filled with dark blue eyes trailing behind her, defending her from any evils that came her way. 

They became closer. She started to spend more time with him and started to see that while he was a bit of a goofball, he too had his own inner demons. Her heart broke for him when she heard his story. She found herself wanting nothing more than to defend him as he had defended her. 

At some point, when he called her his girlfriend, she didn't object. She found herself wanting to be his and for him to be hers. She wanted to hold him and cuddle him and protect him, she wanted him to be her boyfriend. So she didn't object, she didn't roll her eyes, she didn't push him away. No. She pulled him closer, she looked him in the eyes and she called him her boyfriend back. She would never forget the look of joy and love she saw in his eyes that day. 

The truth is. It's hard for an Aphrodite to fall in love. They move on from one partner to the next because they can feel that it isn't the relationship they're meant for. And when they do fall in love, they'll take their love by the hand and never let go. Because for Aphrodites, they're all looking for the same thing. Their one true love. 

Hers was Austin, just as she was his.