Signing

AN: Ok so I know that technically both Lilly and Inmo can speak but they both are rather on the quiet side and don't like to speak really so I think this fits. 'Signing'

Inmo sighed as he slipped into the camp lounge late at night. He couldn't sleep and he thought that maybe no one would be there and he could just read by the firelight. He walked in and grabbed one of the books silently before going to sit on one of the couches. What he wasn't expecting was to see a girl with pinkish-red hair sitting by the fire as well. 

He started to back off, not wanting to talk to her, only to be surprised as she only waved and smiled at him. He was surprised that she hadn't tried to talk to him as well as curious as to why not. Deciding it couldn't hurt, he decided to stop backing away and sit down across from her. 

She smiled brightly at him sitting down before she made a gesture down at the book he was holding as if trying to start a conversation. He shook his head before taking out his talking pad and writing down: Sorry but I'd prefer not to talk right now. And handing it to her. 

Instead of looking disappointed, she seemed to look excited for some reason. She took out a pen and wrote something on the clipboard before handing it back. Inmo raised an eyebrow at her before reading the words: Oh you don't speak either? Do you sign?

Inmo's eyes went wide as he looked back at her. She was looking at him with a hopeful smile and he could only sign back a yes response. She clapped her hands excitedly and signed: 'That's awesome! I'm Lilly, nice to meet someone else who signs in this camp.'

'Yeah, I guess it is. I'm Inmo.' He felt himself smiling as he signed back at this girl. He hadn't met anyone else at camp who seemed to know how to sign so he had had to rely on his clipboard. It was nice to not have to. 

They signed back and forth all night, making jokes, signing about camp (he was surprised to find out that Lilly and Colin were actually good friends), and just generally getting to know each other. They were still signing, albeit, more tiredly than before, as morning came and other campers started making their way to the student lounge. 

As the other campers walked in, they blinked at seeing two of the most anti-social campers signing at each other, smiling broadly as they talked. This especially shocked those who knew Inmo as usually the son of Hermes proclaimed that he hated people, yet here he was, his hands moving at a rapid pace even as he laughed loudly and clearly. 

Of course, when the two noticed the others in the room, they both jumped and got shy at seeing the other campers. They had signed a couple of quick goodbyes to each other, both agreeing to meet up again later before Inmo slipped under his invisibility cloak and Lilly just waved goodbye and left. But this did not mean the other campers forgot what they had seen. 

That day, the campers who had seen the two signing, along with a few others who were friends with them (Seek, Colin, and Mitch to be specific), congregated to talk about how much the two had seemed so happy as they signed at one another. None of the other campers had realized that they even could sign but seeing the way they were acting made them also see how much of a difference it made. So with that conclusion made, those who cared about the two came to a decision to learn sign language themselves. While it wasn't easy, especially considering that only Michael and a kid named Mario already knew it and could teach it, they all started learning how to sign. 

Needless to say, when the two almost mute campers found out about the different campers learning how to sign for them, they were both surprised and extremely touched at their thoughtfulness.