4.9

Meant to Be

Go! Get out! Go play outside or something!" Jerome's mother yelled pushing him out the trailer making the eight year old fall on his bottom

The small boy wiped his tears and dusted the dirt off his short.

"Why are you crying?" A girl asked looking down at him.

"None of your business. Beat it." The small boy told the unfamiliar girl. Her hair was short, her eyes wide and brown.

The girl reached out her hand offering to help him up. He refused and got up himself. "My names Jo."

"That names for boys." Jerome teased "no it's not. Girls can have that name too. And that's not really my name." She said crossing her arms.

"It's Josette."

Jerome rolled his green eyes "did I ask?"

Josette tried to think of something to say back. "Well did I ask if you asked?"

"What are those dots on your face?" She asked getting closer to him.

He pushed her away "they're called freckles."

"You have a lot of freckles." She commented touching his face. Instantly he batted her hands away.

"And then?" Jerome asked with sassiness.

"What's you name?" Josette asked.

"Jerome." The little boy answered. "Why don't you go play with your dolls and leave me alone."

"But you have no one to play with. Neither do I...we can play together." She answered with a smile.

No one ever wanted to play with Jerome. This was the first time. A small smile appeared on the boys face. "Okay."

They spent hours and hours running around and playing in the dirt. Josette stopped and looked at him. "Where are you toys?" She asked tilting her head.

"I don't have any. Mom doesn't let me. Toys are only for my brother." He said with sadness referencing to Jeremiah.

"Oh..." she didn't know what to say.

Months passed and the two children continued to play with each other everyday. Although the ginger was still very mean to her, but the girl didn't really care.

Jerome would tease the seven year old constantly. Sometimes making her cry. He was a very aggressive child, always angry. Angry at the world and mostly his mother who beat him countless times with her many boyfriends.

"Jerome why are you so mean?" Josette asked him as they sat on the ground. Jerome threw pebbles around him.

The boy shrugged his shoulders "I don't know. Why are you so nice? I'm mean to you, and you still play with me."