What if tomorrow a dog farts in front of me

Tessa

"Come on, you need to cheer up!" Grace said while shaking my shoulders. Since the fight I'd had with Jake on Wednesday, I'd been feeling terrible.

I didn't know what to think or what to do with myself.

The most horrible part was that the romance had stopped. No more notes in my locker or someone bringing me flowers. No more late night phone calls. No more surprises.

No more dates.

We were supposed to go on a date yesterday evening but he didn't show.

Needless to say I was feeling depressed about the entire situation. I didn't know how to deal with this. I didn't think I needed to apologise for telling him how I felt. He should apologise for not being himself around me.

One thing that had been bothering me was what he'd said when I was walking away from him.

You never bothered getting to know me. 

Surely that wasn't true. He'd told me so many things about himself. He'd opened up a few times. I'd actually been surprised about how easily he'd trusted me with details of his life.

Maybe it hadn't been fair telling him I didn't know him. I did know him.

"I'm fine." I said absentmindedly when I noticed Grace was waiting for some sort of answer from me.

"Please, Tess, you haven't been yourself." She pleaded. "If you won't talk to me, at least talk to someone else." She said.

I'd told her Jake and I'd had a fight but she didn't know the specifics. I didn't want to relive that moment even though it was all I could think about.

Every time I opened my locker and it was empty, I'd think about it. Every time I went to sleep without hearing Jake's familiar and soothing voice, I'd think about it. That and all the moments in between.

Whenever I'd see him in school, I felt empty. He didn't seem mad though. But if he wasn't mad then why wasn't he talking to me?

Maybe I needed to talk to someone who knew Jake. Someone who could actually help me. Someone who could tell me what was going through Jake's head right now.

"You're right. Thanks." I told Grace.

"You're welcome?" She asked. She was probably thinking I was slowly losing my mind. Maybe I was.

"I gotta go." I said, grabbed my coat and rushed through the door. It was still early but if I didn't go now, I'd lose my courage.

My first thought was going to Snake but I had no idea where he lived plus even though he was Jake's best friend, he looked so intimidating.

I took a deep breath and walked to the front door of Kate's house. The angry looking garden gnomes didn't really help me with my courage.

I rang the doorbell and waited for someone to open the door.

A few minutes later a girl with messy auburn colored hair opened the door.

"Tessa, Kate isn't here but I'm guessing you're here to see me?" Jill yawned. She was wearing fluffy socks and an oversized shirt. She stepped aside so I could come in.

"Yeah, no it's not what you think. I wasn't porking with my boyfriend, I look like this when I wake up." She said and guided me to the couch. I shot her an uncomfortable smile. It wasn't what I'd been thinking at all.

I was just thinking about how nervous I was.

"Snacks? Drinks?" She asked. I shook my head and she plopped next to me on the couch.