Chapter 41

After spending the whole day yesterday resting and tending to wounds. We leave the Inn on good terms with Alois and his family. Mei insisting on gifting each of us enough food to last us the rest of the journey to Tanaki. A two-and-a-half-day journey lay before us. The only people in the streets this early morning are the herbalist and farmer hands heading off to work as the sun begins to paint the sky in shades of orange.

"Thank you so much" I state as we are exiting the tavern. "I am grateful for all you have done for us." I add, tossing my bag over my shoulder with a slight wince.

"I just wish we could do more" Mei sighs

"You have done more than enough" Izana states with a hint of a smile.

"You best be heading out before the boys are up and about, or you will never be able to leave." Alois states, sticking his hand out and giving Izana a firm handshake. "It was nice meeting you Mr. and Mrs. Wistbrook." And with that we part ways.

I lead us in the direction of Tanaki, though slower than I would have like due to the multiple injuries I sustained in yesterdays events. Now bandaged and secure. Along with Izana's injuries which will surely be an eternal reminder of the battle we fought as the scars, surely going to be left behind, blemish his fair shin.

"Are you sure your up to travel?" Izana's voice breaks me from my thoughts as we near the edge of the village now bustling with activity.

"I've traveled with worse injuries, so this won't be much different" I state as my eyes meet with his, my mind slowly taking over as images of a happy, safe, life rushes through my thoughts. But I quickly chase them off.

"Are you positive?" he asks worry crossing his features.

"Yes, the faster we get to Tanaki the faster we can rest and relax in the comfort of family" I state, hoisting myself onto Poppy's back. "or at least I can" I add as he joins me.

Instinctively I lean back, into his warm, inviting chest. A rumble of soft laughter escapes him as we begin the days journey. Winding our way through thick woodlands and maneuvering through deep rivers that cross our path. For Tanaki is not connected to surrounding cities by the main highway.

At some point I dosed off and when I awoke an hour or so later, I reprimanded myself for being so careless. Izana not helping by claiming that I should rest whenever I can. By mid-day the thick underbrush was calling to me.

After we stop for lunch, I decide to travel in wolf form, making a path through the this underbrush as I forge forward. Hunting a few rabbits along the way that my sharp senses caught the sent of.

We stop for the night just as the sky starts to take on the shades of blue and purple. Painting the sky in a beauty found only on the horizon. Soon to be replaced by a blanket of stars worshiping the beautiful moon.

I prepare the rabbits I caught earlier as Izana hunts for dry timber to use for a fire. I cut up a few greens as well throwing it all into a pot with some water. Waiting for Izana to return so I can start cooking the rough version of rabbit soup.

"What took so long" I growl as he exits the trees.

"I ran into this young lady who offered to help" he says with a tang of suspicion in his voice, as a women I instantly recognize enters the clearing.

"SAFU" I practically yell and am on my feet in seconds. Ignoring the pain as we crash together for a tight, crushing hug.

"Nice to see you again stranger" she laughs "Whose your handsome friend" She states turning her gaze on Izana.