twenty

ACE

ACE

"I'm sure she has the codes! If I can somehow capture her, I can easily hack into her memory card and extract what I want if Doctor Y/L/N has entered the information into her data base, but I need to link up into her brain. Fuck!" I shout at the woman who gave birth to such a useless child, squeezing my fists and tossing her aside. I chuckle as she gives me a cold stare. "And you know them too," I say as I come up to her and grab her by the hair.

"You damn corporates—wanting everything your hands can touch but never reach," she yells, her jaw clenched. "This city has turned into a shitshow because of you and everyone else like you!" You may claim that the city has improved for the residents, but you have actually made things worse. You can only leave Haven as a zipped up black bag once you realized what a fucking joke this place is in."

"For the city and its people, we've given our blood, sweat, and tears!" I yelled back. "We—I need APEX to improve! We'll be at odds with other mega corporations who want the same thing! They're even hiring low thugs to hunt Y/N down for the SIM APEX card! And only she can prevent the impending disaster!"

"Metal and radiation make up this city! The massive skyscrapers that shade an unending maze of streets, the dazzling neon illumination that sets the scene for a ballet of flesh and steel. Floodlights and megascreens illuminate a sky where gigantic AVs swish through the air like fish. Have you ever noticed that crime rates have risen to 73%? Have you observed that the number of people who commit suicide has climbed by 23%? Metal and death abound in this city! You corporations are turning us into machines against our will! We're not made to be fucking cyborgs! We were born as a human! So treat us like one!"

I glared fiercely at her and punched her in the stomach. She gags for air as she clenches her gut in anguish. I go back to my feet and point my revolver at her. I, too, raise my head with an irritated grimace.

"You better tell me the fucking codes if you want to make this hellhole of a city a damn dream. Now." I insisted.

There's still no response.

She's completely ineffective!

Totally useless!

To switch off the safety trigger, I click my gun. She stiffens but maintains her vigilance. "I'm not going to say it again except for this one time." Tell me the—" she says, tears in her eyes. This is unusual because I haven't seen her weep in a long time.

"She's merely a helpless woman on whom you experimented! Why are you torturing her like this?" She screams angrily. I put the gun down and laugh.

"I have the same question for you," I gazed deeply into her eyes. "Why did you lie about your cancer and death?" As I maintained eye contact, she widened her eyes.