On My Count

Finally the day has come. It was our first cheer practice. I walked out of the locker room in my new uniform. A white long sleeve sweater on the inside, with a green and white conflicting pattern on the top written with the letters WH. Follow by a dark green flowy skirt on the bottom. My messy black hair tied in a pony tail with a bow. And the Pompoms. Can't forget that!

I joined Kalani with some other girls by the bleachers. Mrs. Johnson walked out, ordering us all directions. She began taking attendance as usual.

"Girls we will start are first cheer routine of the season! But first, the captain will group you. When you hear your name, come fourth."

A high school senior walked out to the field.

"If you didn't know, this is Molly. She will be helping me choreograph this dance."

"We will have three groups, Group 3 on the left. Group 2 on the right, and group 1 in the center." She pointed with her feet. I can feel the intensity of my cheer team. Praying to be grouped with their friends. Especially the Thotties

"In Group 3 we have Emma, Kira, Everly, Britney, and Jade." Molly walked to the right side of the field preparing to call out the next set of girls.

"Mrs. Johnson you made a mistake. Jade is suppose to be with me." Demanded Porsha.

"Sorry, I already organized you in a separate group."
"Just deal with with." I heard Kalani whispered.

"Group 2 are Sasha A. Tiffany, Leah, Mackinley Kalani, and Sasha D."

I was disappointed to not be in the same group as her. But that means...

"And group 1 is Me, Gabriella, Natalie, Shayla, Blaire, and Porsha." Molly waved for the rest of us to come out on the field.

That can't be happening. I'm put on the same group as Porsha!

"Mrs. Johnson!" Shouted Porsha. "I think you mixed Blaire and Jade up."
For once I agree.

"I looked over it twice darling, there's no mistake." She said.

"Ok everyone. After warmups we will practice our first routine. The song we are doing is Cherry Bomb."

The girls in my group seemed extremely excited to be dancing to this song. Everyone except Porsha.

After a 20 minute warm up. We got started.

"Porsha, Emma, and Sasha A. are the flyers. The rest of you will practice catching her." Said Molly.

She put each member in their positions and taught us how to handle the flyers. Looks familiar so far. My job is to hold Porsha's right foot as we raise her into the air.

"Now, let's practice throwing. Flyers will jump up with the help of your group, cross your arms over your chest when coming down. It's all about trust." Informed Molly. "On my count. 5   6   7    8."

I lifted Porsha with all my strength. Her foot slipped off my hand and kicked me in the nose. The sole of her shoe hitting me right in my nasal. Getting the wind knocked out of me. I found it difficult breathing for a solid 3 seconds.

"Are you ok?" Mrs. Johnson came rushing towards me, examining my face.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I brushed it off, hoping I didn't distract too much attention.

I'm starting to get used to my new cheer team. Most of the time, I get waves of compliments from the coach or the captain.

"Amazing work Blaire. Just some more practice on those backflips and you will be as good as Porsha." Said Mrs. Johnson. "I want to move you to the front right."

"Front right!" Exclaimed Porsha as our coached
walked off. She swiftly turned to face me. "That's where they out the weakest cheerleader."

~End of the period~

I placed my Pompoms in my locker, and took off my sneakers. Rummaging through my locker, I couldn't see a trace of my clothes anywhere. I unzipped my duffle bag, and threw my hand in. Not there. I decided to take a second look in my locker. Maybe I misplaced it.

"Have you seen my clothes?" I asked Everly who's standing beside me.

"No, sorry."

I scanned the floor and benches incased I dropped it. Just dirt and hair.

"Hey Blaire." I heard Porsha say. "Something smells like shit." She giggled then walked out.

I walked barefoot into the girls bathroom. Held my breath and reached my hand into the dumpster, pulling out my leggings, sweater, and boots.