Yes, Your Honor

~1 week later~

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Alison Macey Caballo, Lawyer of the State of California, Downtown Courthouse; representing the plaintiff, Oscar and Willow O'Connor." My mom began, looking over at Kevin's parents. I glanced at them. Their face, worn out, exhausted, lost of sleep, holding back tears. "We are here to decide if the defendant, Porsha Anne, is liable for the murder of Kevin O'Connor that took place on May 16, 2020 at 9:43 pm." She referred to her notes, then made eye contact with the audience. "On that evening, Mr. O'Connor was assisting a teacher with theatre props by taking a narrow stair case, leading to a tight runway, stretching 7 ft from the ground across the stage."

I had horrid flashbacks to Prom. I can't bare to listen at what she has to say next. I kept my head down. My mom's voice, very audible.

"Soon after, the defendant, Ms. Anne went up to him, teasing and playing with his hair."

"That's not how it happened." I heard Porsha say.

"Objection." My mom called.

I lifted my head. The girl, still a bitch even when she's handcuffed to the table wearing her orange jump suit.

"You may continue." Said the judge. A middle aged overweight man in a grey suit and tie.

"She followed Mr. O'Connor to the staircase. In Wineyerd High School, no one is allowed up there without the staff's permission. Then, Blaire Caballo..."

My mom stared deep into my soul.

"...a witness, climbed up the stairs after them. This is where the scene took place. Ms. Anne shoved Mr. O'Connor off the railings. The boy landed on the floor, face down, the bucket he was carrying tipped over his head."

"Now." The judge began. "Let's hear from our witnesses."
I heard a group of people making their way up to the witness stand. Clara, a guy from Kevin's swim team, and Liam, Porsha's boyfriend who was on the football team. All three of them took a seat in front of the Judge.

"We will hear from different perspectives of the crime. Everyone in the jury must remain silent. You will have time to speak." My mom said. "Clara Wanderwal, you are first."

She looked down at her feet, playing with her fingers than spoke.
"Uh. Your honor, I was by the refreshments with my friends, Kalani and Blaire. Porsha came up to Kevin before Blaire...ran up to them. I saw them go up the stairs. It was dark once they got up, all I heard were screams and heard Kevin falling."

The judge wrote something down. My mom paced around the room.
"Alex Mcnanna." She called the boy in Kevin's swim team. "What's your side of this story?"

"Well, your honor, I was one of the students who helped Mrs. Johnson, the cheer coach, with the theatre props. I was the first one up. Porsha was teasing Kevin while carrying the bucket. When I was setting the object down, I tuned back and saw Porsha push him." Alex finished.

My mom nodded. Moving over to the next witness.

"Liam Roscoe. What is your side to the story?"
He looked over at Porsha sitting by his right. Her eyes darted at her boyfriend mouthing something.

He let out a sigh. "Your honor, I was right in front of Kevin during that..." he paused. "The cheer coached called me to the back room while I was dancing with her." Liam pointed at Porsha. "I don't know why she flirted with him while she was dating me-"

"I didn't! We talked about-" Porsha cut off.

"Silence!" My mom shouted. "You'll get the time to share your side Ms. Anne. Mr. Roscoe, please continue"