So Over It

~Saturday~

My mom and I drove to the mall to shop for my Prom Dress. I wish you could see the look on her face after telling her that Kevin asked me out.
After hours of attempting to find parking, we walked into a store called BeautyGurus R-Problematic.
I remember walking past this store many times as a child, dreaming of being a teen and going to Prom. The day has finally come. We were greeted by loud pop music, follow by nice employees showing us around. There were hundreds of dresses ranging from different sizes and color all over. It felt like I was surrounded in a thick cloud of rainbows. There was even a catwalk set up in the middle of the store. You simply try on a dress in the back, then walk out for all your friends to judge.

I started to venture to find my dream dress and show Kevin. There were so many to choose from. Some short with glitter, some as long as ball gowns, a tight maroon dress with shoulder less straps. All of them were beautiful in their own ways. After a long time, I decided to try on 3 dresses. I wore the first one in the back, then walked out on to the cat walk for my mom to see. Customers and some employees glanced over to look at me. I strutted down the run way in my glittery red dress, parts of the fabric flowing behind. I felt uncomfortable with the shouldered straps that revealed my chest, but my mom liked it.
"It's so beautiful, baby." She complimented.
I spun around like a ballerina. Feeling exposed in a way.
"I don't like it mom." I walked back to the dressing room and walked out in a green dress. Shorter this time, the bottom area just above my knees.
"Nah, it looks too much like my cheer uniform."

I picked up my last option. A grey dress with purple ribbons tied in the back. Little grey bows going across the top, and backless. I put it on then looked in the mirror. It was beautiful. The fabric was soft and fit perfectly around my waist. The bottom swishing every time I take a step. I walked out on to the runway distracting my mom who was on her phone.
"Wow baby, you look wonderful." She got up from her chair to take a picture. "Wait until dad sees you."
"Thanks mom." I spun around, the dress spreading out. "I love it!"
"How much is it?" She asked me.
I pulled out the price tag, tucked between my armpit.
"75 dollars." I told her.
She thought for a moment then sighed.
"Please mom," I begged. "I really want it."
"Oh ok. It's only once in a life time." She said.
I jumped up in happiness, being so eager to show Kevin.

Suddenly, the worst possible thing happened. You guessed it! The Thotties walked into the store. Porsha carrying her pink Starbucks drink in one hand, while her IPhone in the other. Her face still caked with makeup, her flawless hair curled down her sides. Parts of it tied up into a tiny bun. They saw me up on the cat walk. I dashed out of there not looking back.
"Excuse me!" I pushed by a girl who came out from the back.
I quickly took my dress off and put my old clothes back on. Rapidly gathering up my dresses, I sprinted to the exit.
"Where are you going, luv?" Porsha, Jade, and Angela blocked my way.
I tied to squeeze by them, but they snatched my items and threw it onto the floor. Porsha shoved me to the ground, my body knocking over a clothes rack.
"A girl like you would be caught dead wearing that dress." Chuckled Jade.
"Look at it." Said Angela while throwing my favorite grey Prom Dress to Porsha.
"Stop! Give it back!" I got up from the floor, attempting to pull back the item from Porsha's hands. She held it tight. I could hear the clothing beginning to tear.
"You're tearing it." I said.
"Such a shame." She replied with a smirk. Then let go of my dress, the force I had on it shot me to the ground, landing on my back. My dress covering my face. "How sad, it looks like you won't be going to Prom." Said Porsha laughing. I heard a camera flash, followed by more laughter.

I laid there for a few minutes. Waiting for the coast to be clear. Finally, I pulled myself off the cold dirty ground. My hair a wild mess, my Prom Dress wrinkle up.

~Later that day~

I stood in front of me bedroom mirror, admiring myself with the dress. The scenario with the Thotties replayed over and over in my head. I had to go to Prom for Kevin. At least I will be surrounded with my friends at the event. Kalani can protect me from Porsha. I got a text from Kevin saying he has arrived to my house. After opening the door, I got second thoughts about myself.

"Hey, I got your text this morning. What does your Prom Dress look like?"
I guided him to my room, my grey dress slouched over the edge of my bed.
"It's there." I pointed to it.
Kevin held it up in the air. "It's beautiful." He said.
"Why don't you try it on for me?"
I took the dress from him. I began to make my way to the bathroom before stopping in my tracks. I turned around facing him.
"Do you think I'm pretty?" I asked.
"Of course I do." He said with a smile.
I walked closer to him, throwing my dress to the floor.
"No. I want you to answer honestly. If you never spoke to me or knew me, would you think I'm pretty?" I repeated the question.

He examined me. "When I first saw you walk into Mr. Myers' class, I felt a connection. And then I saw you sitting alone on the bleachers that day during swim class. You looked lonely. But I knew that the most loneliest people are the niceness. I was right." He out his hands on my shoulder, preparing to Lena in for a kiss.
I pushed him back. "You only date me because you feel bad. I don't blame you. My parents did too, after adopting me from an orphanage!" I shouted in his face.
He looked shocked. "Blaire, clam down. I wanted you to feel included into our school. After Porsha.."
"I don't want to hear her name ever!" I fell onto my carpet, covering my ears.
"All I wanted to do is help! I've been nice to you ever since day 1. I could be at home, paying video games with my brother. But I took time out of my day to see you!" I could here the tone of frustration in his voice.
I kept my head down.
"You know, if you simply told your parents that Porsha is bullying you. This wouldn't have gone too far. Why don't you stick up for yourself?" I heard him walk out of my door and into the hall.
"Kevin wait!" I cried out. But he already left.
I ran into my room slamming the door shut, madly sobbing into my pillow, nearly suffocating. I'm so stupid. Why did I behave like that in front of my only love?

Eventually, I calmed myself down. Pulling out my phone to text a very trusted friend.
I want to feel pain.