It Got Worst: Part 1

~March~

At last it was March. Only 3 and a half more months left of school before summer break. Then, I can forget all about what happened this year and start over in September. As usual, I was working on a problem in Math class. Porsha has returned from school. The three of us, did not exchange a single word.

"Hi Blaire." I saw Kevin walking towards my table.

"Hello." I said quietly, quickly darting my eyes at the Thotties.

"Good job at half time." He began pulling out a chair next to me.

"Kevin no!" I shouted and Porsha yelped.
Her foot, which was resting on top of the chair fell to the floor as she clenched her teeth and grabbed on to the table.

"I'm so sorry." Pleaded Kevin, lifting het foot back on to the chair.

I felt a buzz in my pocket coming from my phone. I secretly pulled it out seeing a text from Kalani.
Can I come to your house and do HW tonite?

I turned my head to the back of the room. Silently nodding.

"Anyways," said Kevin kneeling on the floor beside me. "The ASB students and I are discussing Prom themes and are looking for volunteers to help decorate. Are you interested in helping out?" He asked me.

I thought about it for a second. Any kind of social interaction never goes well for me. And Angela is part of ASB, whatever I say or do she will tell Porsha.

"I'm sorry Kevin. I would help out. But Prom and after school activities other than cheer isn't my thing."

He looked a little disappointed. "It's ok, I understand."

~Wednesday evening~

I have a girl in my bedroom this time. Not a boy. Shocking! We laid on the floor quizzing each other for the AP chem final.

"Which of the following properties apply to both metal and ionic solids?" I asked reading out the four options.

"Uh... High melting point!"

"Correct." I flipped to the next page. "How about this one. Which element is least likely to form a network covalent structure?"

She thought about it for a second while looking off to the side.
"Least likely.... least likely... oh C. Carbon." She answered.

"Correct." I said joyfully.

"So what happened to a Porsha was instinct Karma right?" Said Kalani going off topic.

"You could put it that way." I replied.

"The only reason she came to watch us perform, was because you stole her part."

"I thought she was there for Jade. But I'm glad she's too crippled to do anything to me." I said laughing.

"Yeah. Those three have always been like that."
Replied Kalani.

"I call them, the Thotties." We both cackled at my comment.

"Girls, dinner is in 5 minutes." Shouted my mom from the kitchen.

"Ok mom."
"Ok Mrs. Caballo." Said Kalani.

"Next question." I scanned the page, looking for a challenging one to confuse her. The sudden ring of Kalani's phone startled me from the study guide. She picked it up.

"Hello? Now?" She sat up. "Does it have to be now? Ok. I'll be there." She began shoving her books and papers inside of her backpack. "That was my sister. I have to leave now."

Confused. I asked. "Why? I thought you would stay for dinner?"

"It's a family thing. It's urgent." Kalani got up and left my room.

I heard her voice telling my mom in the kitchen that she had to leave. Suspicious, I walked out spying on her from the living room window. Pulling back the curtains, I saw a black sedan parked in our neighborhood, the headlights brightly on. Kalani mouthed something then got in the vehicle. It drove off silently in the night.

~A week later~

"Class." Clapped Mr. Myers waiting for our attention. "This weeks work is a bit challenging. I will allow you to work with anyone in this room." I darted eyes with Kalani and Kevin. "But you have to talk about math, or else I will separate you."

The creaking sounds of chairs and kids shouting their friend's name filled up the room. Kalani and Kevin both sat by my side.
We opened up our computers and began working.

"Should we invite Clara?" I asked them.
"But the "thotties" are at our table." Replied Kalani making air quotations.

We talked about math problems, getting as much done to have less work to do at home.

"I love your nails Kalani." I heard Porsha say.
She examine them. "Thank you. Porsha. My sister painted them."

"And we divide these numbers by-" I told her before being cut off.

"Jade has a collection of nail polish in her locker. Come sit at our table during lunch. I'll let you paint mine." Porsha reached her arms out and pulled Kalani's notebook.

"You have such nice handwriting." She complimented with a smile.
"Thank you, but..."

"It's really good." Included Angela adjusting her hijab.

"Oh my gosh she does. Look at mine, it's such a mess." Added Jade holding up her notebook for all to see.

I sat there watching, being frustrated with them. I could feel my face getting hot, my hands beginning to count into a fist. I turned to my right seeing Kevin whisper. "Just let it go."

"Girls!" I heard Mr. Myers say. "Back to math."
Thank you.

~Lunch~

I knew something was off about Kalani since she left early that night. But she seemed normal the day after. Until I found her sitting next to the Thotties at their table. In the middle right between Angela and Porsha, a colorful variety of nail polish in front of them. I walked past to the table right by the bathroom, not making eye contact. Clara wasn't sitting there. I knew exactly where she was. I took my tray to the music room. Hearing her sing while strumming her guitar puts a smile to my face. She turned to face me.

"Oh my god guess what!" She jumped from the chair putting her hands on my arms.

"What?" I asked.

"My mom got the job she wanted, and we are moving into an apartment!" She clasp her hands together with a huge grin.

"That's amazing!" I threw my arms around the girl. "So it's out of the shelter?" I asked.

"Yeah! I finally get to have my own room again." She said with excitement. "Goodbye Homeless Shelter. Goodbye roommates. Hello my own place!"