Breakfast

Waverly brushed the locks of red hair in front of her, tying them into two pigtails. She smiled at the reflection of the little girl in the mirror.

"How's that, sweetie?" she asked. The girl beamed at her as Waverly wrapped her arms around her.

"Perfect. Thanks, mummy!"

"That's alright, Maia. Can you go get dressed for school now, please? Mama laid your clothes out on the bed." Maia nodded, her orange pigtails shaking as she skipped up the hallway to her bedroom. Waverly ran the hairbrush through her own hair briefly and then another face appeared by her reflection, followed by a third. Nicole smiled, adjusting the baby on her hip.

"Hey beautiful, are we still on for our breakfast date? Or should I make enough toast for us too?"

"We're still on. My first class is at 12."

"Alright, wanna change Ezra while I start breakfast for the girls?" Waverly nodded. "Oh and Ellie is still in bed, she says she only wants you to wake her up."

"Alright, I'll get her after I sort this cutie."

Waverly put the brush down, held her arms open and Nicole passed her their chubby baby boy. He smiled and kicked his legs in excitement.

Waverly crossed the hall into the baby's room and laid him down on the change table as she heard her wife call out, "Maia, Ava! Breakfast will be ready soon!" Her footsteps went down the stairs until they faded out of earshot.

She peeled off the baby's pyjamas and changed him, dressing him into a short sleeved, yellow onesie after. She would later add pants and a sweater to the outfit, after he'd eaten and been wiped clean of his inevitable mess. Waverly scooped him up and went into the next room over.

The toddler was curled up under a clump of blankets on the little bed in the corner. She kicked her legs and whined.

"No mama!"

"It's mummy, sweet face. Do you want to get dressed first or have breakfast?" Waverly crouched down by the bed awkwardly with the baby still in her arm.

"Breakfast!" Ellie yelled excitedly as she sat up. "Pancakes?"

"Toast today. But I think you will come with me and mama to the cafe, so maybe you'll get a treat before daycare, if you eat up all of your toast, okay, bubba?" She kissed the top of her head and took her hand. "Come on." She stood back up and took the two little ones downstairs.

"Two more for breakfast," the brunette cheered as they entered the kitchen. She strapped Ezra into his high chair. Nicole tipped some toast onto the tray that she'd cut into smaller pieces. She ruffled his dark brown hair and pecked Waverly on the lips. Then she crouched down by Ellie who had a one-handed grip on Waverly's jeans.

"Can I have a hug?" The three year old threw herself at her other mum and gave her a sloppy cheek kiss. "Oh, you're so sweet, Ellie." She lifted her as she stood up and helped her onto a stool by the bench. "The blue plate is your toast, bub."

On the left of her, Ava's long red braid swayed as she hopped off her stool.

"I'm all done, mummy. Can you help me with my shoes?"

Waverly followed the seven year old out into the entryway where the shoe rack was. Nicole cleaned up after her toast making while she watched Maia play peekaboo with her baby brother, now that she'd finished her toast and hopped down from her stool. Her little hands held the edge of the high chair tray as she jumped up and crouched down again and again. Ezra's giggles filled the kitchen.

"Maia, be careful not to pull on his chair please."

"Sorry, mama." She lifted her grip and blew a kiss to her brother instead.