Recovery

* Katniss POV*

I just stand in place. Helplessly watching as Peeta falls hard to the concrete. Hearing a snap, and and seeing blood decorate the concrete as if a small child splattered pain on a canvas. I run to him; and seeing him like that brings me to my knee's. I hold him from the waist up. Running my hands through his hair and rocking him, saying things like 'wake up' and 'baby please'. My tears fall to his face, but they turn red as they touch Peeta's skin. That's when I relies that my my arm and shirt is soaked with blood. I put him back down, and run into the house and dial 911.

"Hello, 911 what's your emergency?"

"INEEDANAMBULANCEMYHUSBANDATTEMPTEDSUICIDEOHGODPLEASESENDHELP!" I say all at once. I can't stop crying.

"Ma'am, I need you to calm down. What do you need?"

"I need a ambulance!" I manage to say.

Okay, one will be there shortly." she says something else but I hang up. I know that every minuet wasted is a minuet that could be used to save his life. But I just keep thinking that it's over. That he is already dead. That there is nothing more anyone can do.

Time seems to pass slowly. Like every minuet feels like and hour. Since I still live in the victors village and I don't have any neighbors except for Haymitch, no one is here to help me. The ambulance finally arrives and puts Peeta on a gurney. Then they then attach him to a I.V line and one of the paramedics say he's not breathing. I start to loose it, when they put him on a ventilator. They packed him up and get him in the ambulance. I try to go in but one of them said that I am too hysterical, and I would just make it harder on me and everyone else. I end up taking our car (yes we have a car, we just don't really use it.) and run a stop sign and three lights. Luckily I didn't run into any Peacekeepers.

When I get there I go strait to the receptionist desk and ask for Peeta's condition. It took me a while for me to explain who I am and how I am related to him, but in the end all the receptionist says is that he is in surgery and the the doctor will come out when she is done. And in the mean time I should call someone. I go and sit down. Who am I going to talk to about his? Haymitch? Gale? My mother.

She answers on the third ring," Hello?"

"Mom?" I ask.

"Katniss?!" I could here the excitement in her voice. I haven't seen or even talked to her since my wedding 15 years ago.

"Peeta is in the hospital..." I say and start crying. Other people in the waiting room start looking at me but I ignore them. We talk for about an hour and a half, about me, Peeta, how her life is going and even...Camellia. But at the end of the conversation I ask If she would come back to district 12. If she would stay with me and maybe deliver the baby. She agree's and said she should be here in about 2 weeks. We say good bye, and I think we even hang up at the same time.

Hours pass by and a nurse passes out hot chocolate and says Merry Christmas. Then I remember to night is Christmas. That only a few hours back we were giving about presents and happy. I never thought that I would spend a Christmas in a hospital. But there Is a first time for everything right?

11:11 comes by and my only wish is that Peeta is alive and that a doctor would come talk to me in two minuets. Well sure enough a couple minuets later: "Mrs.Mellark?" I stand up and walk out into the hallway.

The doctor shakes my hand," I am Dr.Furhman," she says. She its a tall,slim, African American, with long black hair.

"Is he alive?" I interject. I just have to know.

"Yes." I start smiling. Tears of joy stream down my face. "But, Mr.Mellark, had a thick blood clot in his left leg, we had to remove it."

"The blood clot?" I ask.

"No. His leg. That's why the surgery was so long.We were able to fix his broken skull and remove all the blood from on top of his brain, but he is getting a blood transfusion because of all of his blood loss"

"But he is going to be okay, right?"

" I wish I knew the answer to that. The Paramedics said that he wasn't breathing when they found him, and the brain can't go without oxygen. And I don't know how he will be if and when he wakes up. He is very lucky to be alive. He suffered a lot of trauma especially to his brain."

"Can I see him?"

"Right this way." She said.

He is in room 19890. When I opened the door all I could hear was the quiet hum and beeps from the machines. I start to let the tears I've been holding for so long come. He has at least 4 I.V. bags going into a clear line, A bag of blood going into his chest by an red I.V. Line, and they shaved his thick blond hair to basically nothing. You could see every single stitch across his head. And a breathing tube going down his throat. I pull up a chair and hold his hand. My tears falling to his hand. I decide to talk to him. Even though I know I won't get a response.

"Hi Peeta. It's katniss." I pause."Peeta you didn't have to do this. I still don't completely understand why you did this but... I am not mad at you... Can you just give me a sign that your in there?"

I wait for a response. But two minuets later, his finger twitches. I know it might be a reflex or irritation, but It counts as something to me. I kiss him and say " Merry Christmas, Peeta." His finger twitches again. And I smile once more.

I just really want to know what is going on in his mind. If he can still think, or here me. But if he can. All I really want him to hear/ understand is that: I miss you,I forgive you, But most of all I love you.