Lousy Mom

The last few days have been nothing but preparing for this war. But something fishy is going on, my gut feels off. Rick has done nothing but ignore me and only talk to Hershel and Daryl. So when I can, I eavesdrop on their conversations. So far, I've managed that the Governor wants someone, and with Rick not talking to me about any of this, I'm worried.

"Rick would tell me right if he wanted me?" I think as I change into Carl's plaid shirt and a jean jacket that has fluff linning. It's gotten remarkably cold over the last few days, so I've had to put my leather jacket away. Waking downstairs to the table, someone with dark hair delivers me a box of shells.

"Can you put this outside on the catwalk?" Maggie asks. I begin to walk away when her hand comes back to my arm. "Wait, can you make a quick run today for me?"

"Mhm, why?" I question. She looks around and whispers in my ear. Understand, I nod. "I'll make sure to tell Rick I'm heading out." She hugs me, and I head to the catwalk. Pushing open the door, I walk to the middle of the walk. Each side is being lined with a metal plate than a wood pallet behind it to stop the enemy fire. Adding the box to the medium size pile with have already I see three figures. In the inner courtyard, they are having a quiet conversation. When my eyes adjust, I see it's Hershel, Rick, and Daryl. I step forward to investigate and understand the conversations.

"We have to do it today, and it has to be quiet." Comes from one of the three below, it's hard to distinguish who.

"You got a plan?"

"We'll tell her we need to talk. Bring her away from the others." Hearing enough, I step back inside. I see Maggie and Carl grabbing pots and spoons.

"What are you up too?" I spin on in my hand.

"We have to put out wire in the road, can't have walkers all over our people while doing it," Carl tells me. Gesturing for him to come here, I kneel.

"You've stepped up. You know that?" I ask him. A small smile taking over his features makes him say.

"Dad said no more kid stuff. I think it's called maturing?" I nod, laughing a little.

"Yes, Carl. You're maturing, but that doesn't mean we can't be children now and then." He goes back to his work after shaking his head.

"Hey time to go, guys," Daryl announces. "Princess, want to help me?"

"Yeah, sure." I walk to him. Carl and Maggie follow us out. They run dodging the walkers and get inside to fences. Pots start banging, and we start putting down barbed wire. I want to ask him what he was talking about with Rick earlier, but I don't want to seem like an asshole. So I wait until we are on our second to the last set of wires. Stepping behind them, I get on my knees and push the board forward.

"So, what was that about earlier?" I hop over the wire. Taking different sides, we lay it on the ground.

"What do you mean?" He hit the back of the truck so Glenn can pull up to the fence.

"I mean the conversation between you, Hershel, and Rick? I hear it while I was on the catwalk, adding to the stash." Letting out a sigh of frustration, he gets up in the back of the truck, grabbing the board by himself.

"You don't need to worry about it now. We'll talk later about it, alone," Setting the wire down after. The only thought that comes to my mind is that it's me the Governor wants. I sigh. It seems like a good time for that run right about now. Meeting Rick, Daryl eyes him than to me.

"Maybe this time, when they charge up the road, they'll get a flat tire," Glenn says while exiting the truck.

"Good idea." Ricks nods to Glenn, but from Daryl's reaction, it wasn't his.