Moving on + A Bright Light

*Edited*

We sprinted as fast as we could towards camp. When we break from around the cars, we see a horrific scene—our group surrounded by a big group of walkers and people firing guns. I drop the bag of guns and pull out my own. Rick and the others follow suit. Glenn and T-dog to my left, Daryl and Rick to my right. I run towards the group firing at walkers that get in the way. I pause, standing right in the middle of everything. It's like it's in slow motion. As far as I can see, Amy, Ed, and a few of the Morales are gone.

I'm snapped out of my trance when a hand is on my shoulder. I let out a scream as I fall backward. A Walker falls on top of me. I put one hand on its shoulder to keep it away from me while searching for a gun. Panic goes through me. I can't find it. I can't find it; where is it? Shit, my arms about ready to give out when a knife goes right through the skull. I drop my arm, and the body falls right onto me, but its weight was suddenly gone and concerned Georgia blue eyes replaced its face.

Daryl grabs my hand and pulls me up. "You tryin' to get yourself killed?" He asks, pulling his hand away.

"No," I say, turning around to look for Carl. But, instead, I see him safe and sound in his dad's arms. 

"I'm heading to bed." I started walking away, but a hand is placed on my shoulder again. I freeze, grabbing my knife. I turn, and it's just Daryl.

" 'ere," he says, giving me my gun back. I take it. "Your kid wants to see ya." He shakes his head towards Carl, who's looking at me. I look down, walking towards Carl.

The silence is terrible. It surrounds the camp. A mix of shock, fear, silently praying that another herd doesn't come through because of the noise we made here tonight.

I come to a stop and sit on the ground, crossing my legs while opening my arms. Carl crawls into my arms. At this moment, right here, right now, I know I could never let anything happen to this boy. I close my arms around him so tightly, fearing if I let go even a little bit, he'd be taken away by one of those things. I don't know how long we stayed there, but Rick's voice broke the silence.

"Hey Carl, do you wanna stay in Jade's tent tonight?" Carl nods into my shoulder. I look up at Rick, thanking him with my eyes.

***

I roll over, still not being able to sleep. Carl passed out right next to me made it hard to get up, but I did. I pull on some ripped black pants a gray tank top. I grab my bag, stuffing in a flashlight, a water bottle, and my first aid kit. Finally, I strap on my weapons.

I'm not leaving them, but I'm not staying around today. I'll hunt or something. I notice it's still dark when I walk out. "Even better," I mumble, walking into the woods.

Before and while babysitting, I would take vacations to Atlanta. I was an outdoor person. Hiking, riding bikes, rock climbing, hunting, you name it. Over the years, I developed a good sense of direction and tracking skills. Before the apocalypse, I would blindfold myself to hear things better while I was out.

I learn what berries were good and which were wrong. Learned birds, which color smoke means, plants, a lot. Some came from Rick, and others came from first-hand experience. After a little bit of time, Rick was about to get me to join him by being a cop.

I sat down on a stump, staring off into the distance. The sun was coming up, so it was probably around 7 in the morning. The group would be up by now doing chores and taking care of the bodies.

My eyes finally started to feel heavy, so I pick a tree closest to my stump to climb. I was about 10 feet off the ground, enough to be out of reach but not enough to hurt myself if I jump or fall. My feet dangle off the sides of the branch, and I tie my rope around to keep me from falling. I take one last glance at the sun that's right in front of me and close my eyes.