Aftermath

Authors note: This will be what she's wearing for a while. Just picture it's dirtier and has dog tags instead of those necklaces. Also, I know most are rooting for this to be a Daryl x reader book. I promise I have a plan for how the end of this season will go. This is what would be season 4, episode 9. Enjoy! 

After going in, we quickly grabbed what we could of our things, and we were on the road—no destination in sight, just a place to stay for the night. I stayed with Rick, one of his arms over my shoulders, while Carl strayed farther ahead. I knew Rick wished he could go faster but couldn't with his injuries. We'd been on the road for a few hours now, and night would fall soon.

"Carl, would you please slow down?" I shout out to him. No response.

"Carl, stop!" Rick yells almost in my ear. "We need to stay together."

"Your dad is right, little man. We have to find a place with food and supplies." We catch up to him. Rick puts his right hand on Carl's shoulder.

"Hey, we're gonna be.." Rick trails off while Carl gives him a 'don't you dare say it look.' Carl then stomps off while Rick and I look at one another.

"It's going to be okay. We've all had smaller groups before. We'll rest for a few days, then get back on the road." I softly reassure. Then we start walking again. After hours of looking at the ground and trees, we finally hit the main road, probably a county one. We take it until we find a little dinner stop. I set Rick on the wooden banister while Carl goes to the door. I walk to the other side and open it for him.

"Rick, wait outside. Okay?" He eyes Carl, but I give him a nod.

"No, Carl, keep watch. I'll go with you."

"No, you keep watch. You can barely stand!" Carl yells in a hushed tone.

"Excuse me?" Rick says. I roll my eyes.

"If you two could get your panties out of their tight bunches, that'd be great. I'll go alone, and you two figure out whatever is happening between you guys." They both look at me, offended. Then I turn and open the inner door for myself and leave it open just in case. I am greeted by a bar island a few feet from me. I check the right side first, but it just leads to a wall. Then I walk around the left into a kitchen. Slowly entering, I see a bunch of old checkered red papers and pots and pans throw a muck. It's clear, so I step back into the main room, heading to the door on the side. I push the glass doors open slowly, but they still squeak loudly. Chairs had been thrown to block entrances, and laps were shattered on the ground. Not a walker insight until a low growl starts. My attention is brought back to the chairs, which I can now see aren't just thrown around but placed in a way to almost block something off—a corridor behind it. The growls become louder. One appears, but the chairs seem to stop it. I look at the wall behind it—only bottles of some hot sauce. I sigh. The walker is just moving back n forth. I look over the see a note on some chairs. Please do what I couldn't. -Joe Jr.

I drop the paper. The faint sound of Rick and Carl's voices outside brings me a little hope that they're hashing things out. Walking towards the wall of chairs, I pull it down. Loud thuds sound out while the walker hungrily comes toward me. I take my knife and plunge it into its head, but it doesn't go through.

"Damn it." I quietly yell. I was trying to get it back out. I look around and see a bar stool topped over. I bring my leg up and kick it in that direction. The legs impale its torso in four different areas. I walk beside it and grab another stool, the wood cool in my hands. Raising the chair above my head, I close my eyes and swing it down. Once, twice, a third, fourth, maybe a fifth, but soon I lost count. All of my anger just came out. Soon tiny cries as well. Everyone and everything we had was gone. Blood spattered on my face, hands, and body, but it didn't stop me. Not till the chair broke did I stop. The flashes of everyone flooded my mind. Hershel, Maggie, Glenn, Carol, Judith, and the person I didn't want to believe couldn't make it out alive. Daryl. I took a deep breath, wiped the tears off my face, smeared a little blood and composed myself, and went back out. They looked horrified when I stepped out.