Exsposed

Sitting in the isolation block with Hershel and Dr. S was different. We made regular rounds on people every five minutes. Once we got done going top to bottom, it was to start all over. Dr. S was currently checking on the patient whose arm got amputated. Hershel was behind him while I was in front, knife in hand in case things turned dangerous.

The only time we wore our masks was when we were outside around the others who weren't infected. I had my blue bandana around my neck because my black one had gone missing a few days ago.

Dr. S pulls away from the guy's chest, shaking his head. Dr. S walks out of the room as Hershel signals to me. Taking my knife, I hold the man's head a push it into his skull, right above the ear. Seconds later, Dr. S comes back with a gurney. We wheel the man out of the cellblock and out to the truck. That truck would take the dead down later to bury them.

"You should sleep." Hershel's calm voice suggests as I lean against the wall. I've been having hot flashes the last few days, but so far, nothing that shows that I have this virus.

"I'll be fine. When's the next council meeting?" I question, running a hand across my forehead.

"We decided tomorrow morning." He replied. I nod back to him.

"Hershel, out there. On the fences. Someone's feeding these things rats. That's why they've been hoarding up." I tell him. Sasha told me she'd tell the others after I left them a few hours ago. Getting another hot flash, I let my jacket slip off my shoulders, sliding down so the cold of the wall can soothe my back.

"Have you been eating?" Hershel's cold hand felt my forehead. "Jade, you're burning up." He trails off.

"Look, I haven't been eating, and I spent all day outside on the fence." I slightly lie to him. He grabs my wrists, placing two fingers over my veins.

"I think you're going through a heat stroke. You need water and rest. I'll make sure Carol or someone keeps you on a regular food schedule. We need to treat this before it gets worse." Nodding in agreement, he helps up. Hershel and I make our way down to the graves in the truck. Glenn, Maggie, and a few others were on burial today. Of course, I had to keep my distance from Maggie being as she was helping Michonne at the time of the exposure. Dragging the new man's body, I drop him off to Glenn.

"How's it going?" I ask him. Sitting down, I let my feet swing in the 5-foot grave he has.

"It's rough being away from her, no touching her, or kiss her. You don't treat your wife like that, JJ." He leaned on the shovel.

"I get it." I trail off. "Do you need help-"

"She isn't not allowed to help. She needs to get treated." Turning to me, he says, "Go up in the cell block, take a cold shower. It will help with your heatstroke and clean the blood off your face."

"Yes, sir." I salute. Slowly, dragging myself off the ground, putting my mask back over my face. I make my way back into our cellblock, making sure to keep a safe distance between me and anyone healthy.

Entering my cell, I grab my black pants, a somewhat clean black tank top, undergarments, and a towel. Balancing everything, I make my way down. Halfway to the showers, I pass Carol. She needs treatment. Hershel's voice plays in my head.

"Hey, um, Carol?" I shakingly ask.

"Yeah, Sweetie?" She keeps her space.

"Can you come with me to the showers? Hershel, thinks I have heatstroke. He also wants to tell you to put me on a regular eating schedule." I explain as we walk down the hallway.

"I can do that." We continued to talk the whole way to the showers. We even put up a curtain so we could continue to talk while I showered. The curtain was black so she couldn't see anything. We put it up that way I could watch her surroundings and she mine.