Old Friend

It'd been almost ten minutes, I'd calmed down and Rick had gotten off the floor but he couldn't focus. Daryl left my side and walked over to Rick waving his hand in his face.

"Rick, you with me?" He said getting no response. I collect myself and get up off the concrete.

"I need to see the baby," Hershel ordered. Carl gently took the baby from Maggie and walked it to him.

"What's it gonna eat?" Daryl asked.

"She looks healthy, but we need to get her formula." He said examining Carl's little sister.

"Alright, I'm going. We ain't losing nobody else. I'm going for a run." He put his crossbow on his back.

"I'll back you up." Maggie's fragile voice said.

"I'll go, too," Glenn says not wanting to leave Maggie.

"Beth watch over everyone. Jade, I need you and the prisoners on the fence. Too many piles up, we got a problem. Glenn, Maggie, vámonos." Daryl says. I nod and stand up looking him in the eye. His face falls and he's about to say something when a scrap of metal makes us turn around. Rick's taken off with the ax.

"Get the gate guys, he'll be okay. Come on we're losing light!" Daryl starts his motorcycle and Maggie gets on it. A hint of jealousy goes through me when I see her wrap her arms around him, but I know I have nothing to worry about because she's with Glenn. Glenn then stays behind. I tell him to go get the wood from earlier and bring it in while I get the walkers on the fence. I take Oscar and Blondie with me giving them an iron rod and a long sharpened piece of wood. I spread them out along the fences to get more work done slowly but sure the string of the dies down afternoon and we can stop worrying about that possibility. I release my two partners to Glenn.

I head back up towards the inner yard but I head up into the guard tower. I climb up the steps and push open the lid, making my way into the room. I get in and shut the lid making the floor whole again. I lean my back up against the wall finally being able to escape everyone. I let myself breathe.

"It's not your fault," I say out loud. I should have stayed with them. I should have shouted to Rick. I should have done something. I should have run after Carol and T-dog. I keep going over should-haves getting nowhere. I stand up realizing I was in here longer than I planned to be. It has gotten darker. I see a little bit of fire left so I guess tomorrow I'll drag the ones I killed today in and burn them. I go back inside and climb back down, exiting the guard tower I hear a rev of a motorcycle.

"Hey, they're back!" Glenn yells. I open the gate up here and Glenn gates the ones downwind so he doesn't have to stop. Daryl speeds by and comes to a stop. Maggie hops off and runs inside to everyone. Daryl kills the engine and swings his leg around, we make eye contact. We both freeze staying still for a second. He puts his hand out and I slowly walk toward him. When I get close I take his hand and he pulls me in for a hug. I wrap my arms around his strong shoulders and he wraps around my curvy waist. We fit together nicely almost like a mold.

Daryl takes a hand and puts it on the back of my head caressing it and shushing me. It wasn't till I pulled away from that I saw the teardrops on his chest. He brings the hand from the back of my head to my face to wipe away another teardrop.

"I'll find her," he tells me. I nod and Glenn walks through the gate. He scratches the back of his neck, smiling. I pull away from Daryl to go inside. As I do hurt goes through his eyes, he follows me though. The three of us go through the door to our cell block and see the baby crying. Daryl takes her from Carl as Beth hands him a bottle. I have to admit seeing him hold a child was precious. I sit back and smile at him. He looks at Carl while she feeds.