Replaced

Over the last few months, everything had changed. Rick made a council to keep him from going insane. As expected, runs took longer, and it was harder hunting. Daryl and I would go out for a whole day or two, and we'd be back out in a few days. Rick had taken up the role of the farmer, as Hershel liked to call it. Once we got the yard free from walkers and all closed up with some heavy metal doors, he's been out there with Carl and the pigs.

Everyone had changed physically, even me, a little. My hair had grown, and I'd built up some muscle. Rick had me teaching self-defense to the teenagers in the mornings, and after I'd help Carol with food, which I was currently doing.

"We might need to go on another run soon." I sigh as she hands a little girl a bowl. Carol kisses my head.

"Don't worry. Crops are going to be ready in a week, so only two or three more." I grunt to her passing up a bowl.

"Morning, Daryl." A man says. Expected, Daryl was making his way towards us. Black button-up shirt with the top two undone and his sleeves cut off, his hair had grown out too, it was kind of sexy.

"What's up, Dr. S?" In that response, every other man and woman started to say 'good morning' to him.

"What are you two doing? Smells good." He grabs the bowl I passed on. He looks up at me, giving a small smirk and then looks to Carol.

"So you know, I liked you first," As Carol said that, a sting went in my heart. I'd put a lot of thinking into cutting things off with Daryl. A few weeks after we brought these people in, I saw at least four women eyeing him.

"Stop." Daryl rolls his eyes while putting food in his mouth by hand. I stay deep in debate until a kid walks up to us.

"Um, Mr. Dixon, Miss Joy. I wanted to thank you two for bringing the deer back yesterday. It was a real treat. And I'd be honored to shake your hand." Looking closely at him, I realize it's Patrick from my class this morning.

"Well, I saw you this morning and already shook your hand. But I'm sure, 'Mr. Dixon' here would love too." I tease in a slightly higher voice. Daryl then licks each one of his fingers, "cleaning them off" and shakes Patricks' hand. The kid looks at his hand as if it's a piece of art before Daryl grabs my arm, and we walk off with Carol.

"Jade was talking about another run. I think you guys should go today, though we can't spare many people." Carol points to the fence. "Getting as bad as last month. Dozens more by tower three."

"We need to stop going out, or at least stop sitting by it." I chew my lip.

"She's right, the more we sit here, the more we draw them. Look, we're getting enough of the fence cleaners, they're starting to herd up." He agreed with me.

"Carol, you know what's gonna happen.." I trail.

"It's already starting. Manageable now, but we need to get ahead of it now, or else it's not going to be for long. Sorry, Pookie." I roll my eyes and start walking away.

I didn't want to go on the run today. I still don't know who all is going. Stomping through our cell block, I shoot a glance at staring eyes. They all advert them as I walk up the stairs. Getting to my cell, I put the sheet over my door. I pace before catching my reflection. I look exhausted, but that's what I get for always doing something. Hunting, training, working, I never get to see Carl anymore.

I haven't slept well in the last month either, Rick or someone wakes me up because I'm screaming. The nightmares had come back, worse this time. Shaking the thought of them off, I turn and pull off my t-shirt. Turning my head looking for a bra, I see them. Every deep, dark purple gash, I'd ever received from that horrible woman. Slowly letting the bra's fabric close around me, I feel someone else's hands do it up. Looking up, I see him.