Chapter 60

December

December

"Elizabeth, you are seriously missing out. Look at all this beauty."

I sat up in bed and stared at the screen of my phone, where my best friend was doing a virtual tour of the sumptuous restaurant Aiden's company chose for their Christmas party.

"It looks amazing, Sky." I smiled. "You look gorgeous, too. I love the dress, and you're rocking the sleek bun. That's a solid ten in the hairstyle department."

Sky's bright red lips stretched in a grin. "Look at my feet, Elizabeth. Red freaking stilettos to go with my black dress."

I caught a glimpse of her pointed-toe shoes before the camera focused on Sky's smiling face again.

"Okay, enough of the fashion talk. I'm going to show you your guy. He looks hot, but don't worry; I'm scaring all the chicks away."

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Skylar." I laughed.

"It's a good thing you'll never have to find out, Elizabeth. Look, Aiden's over there, next to the tree."

Aiden was talking to Liam next to a huge Christmas tree with a glass of wine in his hand. He looked breathtakingly handsome in a black suit and a white button-down, with his dark hair carefully styled.

Sky walked up to the guys. "Ellie's here. Wanna say hello, guys?"

Liam waved at me. "Hi, Ellie!"

"Hey, baby," Aiden grinned into the camera. "How's everything going at home?"

"My mom's busy with work. I'm here, missing you."

"Don't be sad, angel. I'll see you soon."

"Ellie, the dinner is about to start." I heard Sky's voice before seeing her face again. "I'll text you when I'm home."

"Don't worry; we can talk tomorrow. Have fun, guys!"

"On it!" Liam raised his flute. Aiden blew me a kiss, and Sky did the same.

I waved at the three of them and disconnected the call. The relief I felt when I saw that Aiden looked content and was enjoying himself made my afternoon infinitely better. I regretted not having been able to go to the party with my friends, mainly because my second day at home wasn't going the way I planned.

My mom was working on one of her work cases in the living room, with papers spread over the table. Determined to have the conversation I didn't want to put off, I padded downstairs.

Louise was still on her laptop, typing something and casting glances at the documents next to her with her brows bunched up.

"Mom," I said, sitting on a spare chair. "I hoped we could talk."

My mom sighed. "Honey, I'm so sorry for abandoning you. This case is a tough one."

"How about I make some tea, and you tell me what it's about?" I offered.