The Calling

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

I looked between the two men as the information clouded my brain. I stood up from the bed and began to pace the room muttering under my breath while their eyes trailed my movements.

Why have things never been easy for me? Couldn't I just have been a regular girl with regular parents? I laughed under my breath. Normalcy is so overrated.

Out of the corner of my eye, I watched the two exchange a worried glance and whisper to one another.

Embarrassment crept into my cheeks at the feel of their weighted gazes and I stopped moving. Holding up a hand I steeled my thoughts and focused on Death as I released the breath I had been holding in. I opened my mouth about to spew all of the thoughts that had crossed my mind in the past few minutes which trust me, were a lot. I looked past Jeff and Death, noticing the open door and decided that what I truly needed, was some alone time to process everything I had just been told before I went insane.

And trust me I felt close. 

I brushed past both of them and out through the bedroom door determined to find any available space where I could feel truly alone and just decompress. I passed Lilith and the others who were sitting in a circle in front of the fireplace, her gaze slowly following me and her lips morphed into a frown. She moved to get up and I shook my head before she could join me. I just needed to be alone with my thoughts right now.

I stepped into the hallway and made a split-second decision to go left, uncaring where I ended up as long as no one could disturb me. As I walked down the dimly lit hallway, I noticed the walls were adorned with different portraits of men and women, young and old, skin tones ranging from moon-kissed to sun-kissed, and with each step further down the hallway, I felt a sensation of being watched. I peaked to the side of me and watched as each pair of eyes followed my every movement. A shiver shot up my spine and I quickened my pace, eager to escape the ever wondering eyes, and soon reached an opening at the end of the hallway.

Stone stairs spiraled downwards and from the darkness, a damp and cold draft reached out to me and seemed to beckon me forward. I glanced behind me to see if anyone had bothered to follow me and was greeted with the endless eyes of the portraits looking at me causing my heart to race even more.

Before I descended the stairs, my eyes fell onto the portrait directly behind me and the all too familiar eyes gleaming out from it caused my breath to catch in my lungs. The image staring back at me now didn't exactly depict the man I had become all too familiar with, but I could recognize those eyes and the aura that they wielded anywhere. I reached out to touch the image of the regally dressed man who sat on a velvet-covered throne in front of a roaring fireplace, a serious expression plastered on the face of the man which only accentuated the sharp features of his face. My fingers seemed to drift with a mind of their own and skimmed over the plaque at the bottom. E. James 999th.