The Feeling

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Cold water hit my face and I shot up, finding myself on a familiar red couch with a warm fire crackling off to my side. The sound of a deep grumble drew my attention behind me.

"About damn time you woke up." He said before making his way around the couch and taking a seat on the oak coffee table in front of me. He sighed and leaned back. "Please explain to me why I'm constantly having to save your hide. You're turning out to be more trouble than you're worth."

Propping myself up on one elbow and rubbing my eyes with the other hand I focused on the man in front of me. With how dark the room was and with the fire smoldering behind him, it cast his figure as a dark silhouette void of any distinctive features. But I knew that voice anywhere. Had unfortunately encountered it enough times that hearing it no longer startled me or had my heart beating out of my chest.

Though I was grateful for being saved, his never-ending arrogant attitude coupled with my newfound talent to see all the evil of the world had destroyed the last bit of my patience.

Narrowing my eyes I glared at him. "Ya know, for someone who's constantly bragging about how they own my soul and want me to die, you do an awful lot of preventing that. Why do you keep saving me?" I felt tears beginning to form in my eyes, all the stress of the past week cracking the facade I had worn for years. "If the rest of my human life is going to consist of running from demons and god knows what else. You should've just left me to die."

A shift of a log in the fireplace caused the room to light up for a brief second, and in that moment I swore I saw an unknown emotion quickly flash across his face.

After a few moments, he rose to his feet and walked out of the room. Turning over onto my back, I stared at the ceiling and sighed.

Of course, my life had come to this. Though he did warn me that this would happen the longer I was alive.

With the sound of a door closing followed by heavy footsteps, Death was back in front of me with his arm extended towards me. "Here drink this."

I dried my eyes with my shirt sleeve and took the glass from his hands. After looking down at the clear liquid and studying it, I looked back up at him and raised an eyebrow. "What exactly is in this?"

"Nectar of the gods. Legend says that one drop alone will grant 100 years of prosperity."

"Wow, that's insane!" I raised the glass to my lips and took a long sip. "It takes just like water."

A deep sputtering laughter was the only sound I heard before Death bent over in a fit of laughter. "That's because it is! Man, you humans will believe anything. Did you know that gullible is written on the ceiling too?"