Chapter 49

Graduation

Hailey finished her makeup, making sure she used waterproof mascara and eyeliner. Today was her last day at Hogwarts as a student. She, Lily, and Marlene had cried the night before in Lily's dorm, leading to Sirius knocking on the door and requesting that they at least muffled themselves because the Marauders were trying to watch a movie in James's dorm. Hailey knew they were just all trying not to cry, and hearing the girls sniffling and crying was going to make them cry as well.

"This is it." Marlene said, finishing the last of her curls. Hailey had opted to leave her hair natural, letting her curls fall around her face as they wished.

"We're done with school." Lily said. "We finished."

"But we're not going to see each other all the time anymore." Hailey said, feeling her eyes well up. She fought to keep them down, promising herself she wouldn't cry until she had received her diploma. She stood up and put on her graduation robe. Lily and Marlene did the same, Lily tearing up.

"I'm going to miss you guys." She said. Hailey and Marlene hugged her.

"We'll still see each other, I promise."

Lily nodded and composed herself, wiping her eyes.

"Come on, I'm sure you and James will want to snog for a minute before we have to sit down." She said. Hailey rolled her eyes and smiled.

"Let's go get our diplomas."

~~~~~~

Hailey cheered with the rest of her seventh year classmates and threw her cap in the air. She was officially done with school. James came over and spun her around to face him, planting a kiss on her lips. She could feel his smile, and felt happier than she ever had to be done with school. Of course, she had an internship and possibly a year of grad school, but she had graduated Hogwarts, which she felt proud of. Even though she had almost given up a million times, she didn't.

"I knew you could do it!" James shouted happily as they separated. Hailey smiled and kissed him again quickly.

"We did it." She corrected. James smiled and spun her around. When she was safely on the ground, Marlene and Lily attacked her with hugs.

"I can't believe we're done!"

Hailey felt herself tear up. It was done. They were finished with school. They wouldn't see each other very often anymore, certainly not every day.

"I'm going to miss seeing you guys every day." She said, hugging them again. Lily smiled sadly.

"We can't really help that we've graduated, we an just make the best of our situation now."

Hailey nodded. Mr. and Mrs. Evans came up with a girl Hailey assumed to be Petunia.

"Congratulations dear! We're so proud of you."

Lily smiled and accepted the bouquet they were holding out for her. Hailey hugged her one more time and went to stand with the Marauders.

"Well, what's the plan from here?" Sirius asked.

"We all move back in with our parents for an undetermined amount of time, then we finish our programs and move out and become useful members of society." James said. Hailey nodded.

"That's my plan."

Remus nodded as well. James threw his arm around Sirius.

"You're moving in with me, bud. Can't get rid of me yet."

Sirius groaned dramatically.

"Oh no! What will I do? I'm stuck with James Potter for an 'undetermined amount of time'." He said, making air quotes with his fingers. He winked at Hailey. "I'm sure you wouldn't mind being in my position."