Chapter 61

Dresses

"Hailey Lowel! Why did you not tell me you were engaged? I should have been one of the first to know! You know I'm going to throw the best bachelorette party." Marlene said, storming up to Hailey, who laughed.

"I know, and I was going to tell you, but then there was the whole thing with Lily. Sorry I wasn't the one to tell you, I just forgot about it."

"This is huge news! You're getting married! Do you have anything planned? Have you set a date?"

"We haven't set a date yet, but we're thinking once it gets warm. There's no point in waiting any later. We've made a couple of other decisions, but nothing big yet."

"When are you going wedding dress shopping?"

"I was thinking this weekend. Do you want to come? It'll be you, my mom, Lily, and Mary if she comes. Her schedule's a bit busy."

"Of course I want to come! And we can get bridesmaids dresses too! What colors are you thinking?"

"Well I thought if everyone got their own style black dress, it would look really nice. And then we don't have to worry about trying to match ties and shoes."

"That's such a good idea. I wish I would have thought of that. But alas, you guys are stuck wearing red."

Hailey laughed.

"They're cute dresses, so I don't mind."

"I guess. I can't wait to get your dress though! You're going to look so cute, I just know it!"

Hailey chuckled at Marlene's excitement.

"I think you're almost more excited about this than I am."

~~~~~~

"No, not that one. It's a little too much." Lily said. Hailey nodded. She was wearing a ballgown style wedding dress, with multiple layers of tulle. She had always appreciated that style of dress, but being in one made her feel overwhelmed.

"What about something like that dress you wore to my party in sixth year? It was super cute on you. I think that style would be better."

Hailey nodded and headed back to the changing room. Long, slim dresses were definitely more her style. She sorted through the dresses that had been brought to her until she found one she liked. She took it off the hanger and slipped in it. She did the buttons in the back, cursing the sheer number of them, and looked in the mirror. The was simple, form-fitting with a small train, and the sleeves were long and flowed out at the elbows. The fabric was a simple lace with flowers on it, and the bodice was a deep V, with stitching down the front. She did a twirl, enjoying the way the skirt flowed, then stepped out.

When she stepped onto the platform, Marlene squealed and clapped her hands.

"That's the one! I can feel it! What do you think, Hailey?"

Hailey smiled and smoothed the skirt out.

"I really like it. It's just my style."

Lily stood up and hugged her.

"You look so beautiful. I'm glad you found your Prince Charming." She said, her eyes misting. Hailey smiled gratefully and patted her hand.

"Thank you, Lily. That means a lot."

"Does that mean this is the one?" Mrs. Lowel asked. Hailey nodded.

"This is my wedding dress." She said, looking back at the mirror.

~~~~~~~

"I'm back!" Hailey called as she walked into the apartment. She heard James reply, but couldn't make out what he said.

"Did you make dinner, or do you want me to heat up leftovers?" She asked, looking in the fridge. She heard James approach her.

"Let's have leftovers."

Hailey looked up at him and gasped.

"What happened to you?"

James had a dark black eye, and what appeared to be a broken nose. His hands were bloody and scratched as well. He shrugged.

"Auror stuff."

"And they didn't take the time to heal you?" Hailey asked, grabbing the first aid kit. James shook his head.

"They'd rather we knew how to do it ourselves."

Hailey sighed and dabbed some ointment on his eye.

"I'd rather I didn't have to heal you everytime you came home from a mission."

"At least I have you, right?" James asked. Hailey smiled and kissed him.

"At least you have me. And I'm not going anywhere."

James pulled her against him and kissed her again.

"Good."

"But you do need to learn how to fix basic wounds. It's common knowledge."