Chapter 11 Christmas Part 1 - A festive coffee shop

"Pleasssssseeeee" I beg, pouting at Gavin and sticking out my bottom lip, making my eyes as puppy like as I can.

Matt and I have come here to try and get Matt a job, its taking time trying to convince Gavin, Matt has his arm round my shoulders securely, staying quiet from what I assume is nerves.

Gav rolls his eyes, shifting along the counter where he is sat, a hand under his chin as he surveys Matt closely.

"But why though?"

"Gav please! We need the extra help, you know we do! Monica just quit!" I exclaim as Matt smiles weakly.

"I'll need to ask a few questions" Gavin says, looking at Matt as if Matt was a really bad guy.

"Okay"

"Do you know how to make coffee?"

"Uh, I guess? I make it for my mum"

"Do you know how to use a coffee machine?"

"HOLD UP! I didn't know how to use a coffee machine and you hired me!" I argue, folding my arms.

"That was because I thought it was sweet what happened in summer in this shop with-"

"Stop there" I say, widening my eyes at him and shaking my head. His eyes narrow and then they widen as he remembers and bites the inside of his cheek in discomfort.

"Oh right...anyway, okay moving on. So what else is there, can you lift more than one bag? Because a certain employee struggles to lift just one"

"Oh great thanks Gav" the pair laugh at me as I lean against the coffee counter. "Why are you even allowed to assign jobs?" I begin to fiddle with the hem of my maroon top that we wear as uniforms.

"Because I'm in charge of this shop. It might be owned by Jason and he is the boss, but when he isn't around it's all up to me, if anything happens it is my responsibility"

I roll my eyes and groan at him as he folds his arms stubbornly, leaning over the open space to switch on the radio.

"Gav can I have a word please?"

He looks up at me from the odd angle he is in, his brown hair hanging over his blue eyes and smiles at me with an amused expression. He nods his head and unscrambles himself from his odd positon.

I walk out into the store room, the temperature drops, I shiver and I walk the last bit to the door leading outside. I push down on the bar and I quiver more as I step into the frosty air. Gavin follows, closing the store room door and then closes the back door to face me in the reasonably small alleyway.

It takes me a while to remember what happened in this very alleyway and a nauseous feeling feels my stomach, I don't think I'm going to dawdle out here too long because 1. I now feel queasy and the necklace around my neck suddenly feels very heavy and I want to/ need to leave as soon as possible and 2. I just want Gav to give Matt the job without me having to intervene too much.

Gav stands opposite me, leaning on the brick wall, the old circus posters on the wall behind peeling. Our breath is visible as we both breathe calmly, they both combine due to the tiny area we are packed into.

He looks around and smirks to himself, chuckling as he looks back to me.

"Is this the place you kissed-?"

"Yes" I cut him across, sighing and rolling my eyes. "Actually he kissed me"

"Not how I heard it"

"Yeah well it was his suggestion"

"In this very alleyway?"

"I was trying to hide from him...we're getting off topic!"