Chapter 18 Birthday Bash

Hi
I'M BACK! I've probably flunked all my exams...but hey ho!
So I know I said the update would be on the 6th of Feb, (cause it is Dan and I's birthday...) but I thought that I would post this early as you have all been so nice about this :)

-Lauren :D
----------------------------------------------

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DANNY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!"

I groan loudly, then roll over onto my side, I gradually open my eyes to look at my alarm clock.

Friday 6th of February 2015 7:17 am

So much for sleeping in on my birthday.

I turn back to see Emma, Josh, Ollie, Ellie, Mum and Dad all crowded around my bed, grinning widely at me.

Well this is...sort of creepy.

"Thanks guys" I laugh, shaking my head at them all.

"Oh happy birthday Danny!" Mum exclaims, wrapping her arms around me tightly, I gasp as she practically crushes my bones in the process, my Dad laughs with a sympathetic look on his face, while my three stifle their laughs.

"Um...thanks Mum" I mumble into her shoulder that is pressed tightly against my mouth.

"17! Can you believe it Mark?! Our little boy's growing up to be such a handsome boy! Oh Danny I'm so proud of you!" she begins to tear up, I glance up to see Josh restricting a giggle and my Dad rolls his eyes.

"Okay Hev, calm down and let the poor boy go will you?!" my Dad chuckles, pulling him off of me, she sobs into his shoulder while he wraps a firm arm around her, she shakes as I glance over at my sister who smirks at me.

"Happy birthday Dan" Dad says, nodding at me "Why don't you guys go and grab breakfast?" he smiles at me.

"Thanks Dad"

"DIBS ON THE FIRST PANCAKE!" Josh yells, sprinting out of the room, yelling some sort of battle cry as he runs down the stairs.

"NOT SO FAST!" Ellie shouts after him, chasing after him with a determined expression on her face.

I leave the bedroom with the most sensible of them all; Ollie and Emma, they each hug me while we stand on the landing, my Mum's sobbing still audible from the bedroom, they wish me a very happy birthday and we walk down the stairs to the kitchen.

The tempting aroma of pancakes cooking drifts from the kitchen, I smile and allow myself to stretch as I watch Ollie grab some plates from the cabinet.

Emma smiles at me, I motion her over to where I stand, she frowns, then brushes some hair away from her face.

"Yeah Dan?" she smiles, I run a hand through my hair and sigh as I look down at her bright blue eyes.

"Thank you Emma"

"For what?"

"The other night; I just...you said you'd be there for me if I needed it, every now and then I think about that summer and everywhere I went wrong. I couldn't end up like I did when you came and first visited me. It's not so bad though, I think I'm actually...I'm actually over Hazel, it's just occasionally..."

"It still hurts" she nods "I understand, its fine, I'll always be here for you okay?"

"Thanks Em. It was wrong of me to intrude, and as for when Hazel answered the door..."

"It's fine Dan okay? I understand and it doesn't matter, we should've been sleeping anyway, I'm glad you talked to me before you let it build up and make you lose sleep. I know you've told me everything about it, but I will always be here to just sit with you and let you talk through your thoughts"