Chap 23- Soona mera jahan

Swara and Sanskar walked into the temple together. Sanskar went ahead with others while Swara sat down on the marble floor. Thoughts about her wedding with Anurag tormented her mind leading to a mild headache. The effect of the medicine was still there and she was feeling a little drowsy.

She sat up straight and folded her hands in prayer. Beautiful mantras were playing in the temple. Pictures depicting Lord Buddha's life were painted on the walls of the temple. Swara closed her eyes and allowed the mantras to sink in. Very soon, she began to chant them in her soft voice.

Sanskar and Misha sat down on the carpet and began to talk about the beauty of the temple in hushed voices. Meanwhile, chanting the mantras had made Swara deeply connected with what lay within her heart. She soon realised that she did not love Anurag and had no wish to enter into a loveless marriage. Even her mother's wishes could not dominate her deep inner knowing.

She slowly opened her eyes and wiped off her tears. She stood up and the very first thing she saw was a painting of Goddess Tara who had a loving and compassionate look upon her face.

As the sounds of the mantras echoed in her ears, she felt a bit shaken by this sudden realisation. Sanskar had gotten up to take a round about the temple.

"Its a shame I couldnt bring in my camera," he thought," This place is marvellous."

Swara finally decided to visit the interior of the temple where several devotees were seen going. She wrapped her shawl tightly around herself and began to walk in that direction.

"Sanskar!" Misha called out to him, "Look! So many people are going in that direction. One of the devotees said that there are beautiful idols placed in the interior of the temple. Lets have a look!"

"Sure," replied Sanskar.

The interior of the temple was very dark and was barely lit up with oil lamps. The devotees had gathered in small groups to worship the idols and say their prayers. Swara kneeled down on the floor and prayed for strength and safety. Sanskar and Misha arrived too and while Misha was busy speaking to one of her batchmates, Sanskar walked to a quiet corner and waited patiently for their conversation to end.

Swara repeated her prayers and expressed her gratitude to the Gods and Goddesses. She slowly opened her eyes and the first thing she heard amidst the chattering and chanting voices was someone humming a tune. She turned around in surprise, but she saw no one. She loved the song to which the tune belonged. She smiled recalling the last time she had sung it on her mother's birthday. The song brought up a lot of happy memories for her. She wondered who was humming the tune.

Sanskar stood there patiently. He didnt realise when he started humming the tune of a song he had heard only once on the radio.