Chap 8- It doesnt matter

Ragini put the mike aside and walked out of the party hall. She walked slowly and finally reached a quiet spot close to the garden. Beautiful snapdragons were glaring lovingly at her. The night air was cool and soothing. It was only eight o' clock yet the moonlight was sparkling across the sky.

"Ragini!" Lakshya called out to her," Are you all right? What happened? Why did you stop singing?"

"I miss Sanskar, I miss Diya, I miss our school days," she said," I wish I could go back and.................."

"Say yes to Sanskar when he had proposed to you?" asked Lakshya curiously.

During their final weeks of school, Sanskar had proposed to Ragini. But Ragini, being her Dadi maa's grand-daughter couldnt say yes to him. She wanted to but she couldnt.

"No," said Ragini," Sanskar and I have moved on. I miss our friendship, I miss the fun we had."

"Sanskar shall be joining us soon," said Lakshya," There is nothing to worry about."

"Thats easier said than done," said Ragini," College is not the same as school. There is meanness and cruelty all around."

"Yes, I agree. But thats okay. Its all a part of growing up."

Swara was sitting quietly gazing at the moon. She felt relieved that Ragini was in a better state of mind.

"But who was she talking to?" Swara asked herself," O well, it must be Sanskar. He is the only one, apart from me and Lakshya that Ragini shares her joys and sorrows with. I wonder what he must be like. Lakshya is quite what Ragini used to describe him as."

Swara had never had many friends. Ragini was perhaps her only good friend. She had a hard time opening upto people. Suddenly, she heard the ringtone of Ragini's cell phone and realised that Ragini had handed over her phone to her before she went to perform.

Swara saw "Sanskar" flashing on the screen. She wasnt sure if she should receive the call and ask him to call back later or just put it on the silent mode.

"Sanskar must be worried for Ragini. I must let him know that Ragini is all right."

Swara picked up the call. Even before she could say "hello" a worried male voice spoke anxiously from the other end," Ragini, are you okay? Why did you suddenly disconnect the call? And you.....quitting music! Why?"

"Will you please calm down," said Swara," Ragini has been through a lot but she is much better now. She will call you very soon."

"Who am I speaking to?" asked Sanskar.

"I........." Swara was about to answer his question, but she then said," I will let Ragini know you called. Goodbye."

"It doesnt matter," she said to herself once the call was disconnected," it doesnt matter who I am. I better not get involved with Ragini's friends. I better stay away."