Chapter Twenty One

***

Promises are meant to be broken.

****

Asad's P.O.V.

It was almost 10pm.
When I heard Vinay's car parked outside for few minutes and then he sped off.

I was in my room,I had already made and eaten my dinner leaving a portion for Zoya.
I could hear rustling below and then thuds of her steps on the staircase and a slap of her bedroom door closed.
I know I shouldn't have left her, she was completely soaked.
I saw her getting off from Vinay's car before, that's when I knew that she was soaked from head to toe.
Does that mean she was waiting for me under the rain?

She is crazy.

After few minutes I heard a click, and then a knock on my door.
She wasn't allowed in my room.
So I didn't bother opening.

She'll leave eventually.
And I was right.
She left.

****

After some time, I decided to face her.
Taking the agreement, I headed downstairs towards the kitchen to see her eating as if she hadn't eaten in years.

Then it clicked me.

"You didn't had your lunch?!" I didn't ask question rather I stated.
She looked at me, and smiled putting the spoon aside she stood up and came running towards me.
Hugging she mumbled under my chest," Asad! You are okay! I was so worried."

I was stiff under her hug, I didn't hug her back.
She then broke the hug, and said," am so happy to know you are fine, I asked Vinay why he came to pick me instead of you but he didn't answer anyway doesn't matter as long as you are fine."
She then sat back on the dining table and started eating the paneer shezchwan rice I had made.

"Why didn't you eat lunch?" I asked sitting opposite her on the table.
Plucking the grape from the fruit basket and tossing it in my mouth.
Mouth full she replied," I forgot my wallet at home and I tried calling you but..." She then looked at me gulping the morsel and smiled," doesn't matter cause I got to eat this amazing food made by you."

I gulped not looking at her.
Well this will be your last meal cooked by me Zoya
From tomorrow cook for yourself.
I thought.

I didn't care anymore.
Let those smiles she plasters on her face fades.
For me, those aren't smiles.
They are traps that make the rich guys get caught in them.
But I won't get trapped, cause One, am not rich and two, I already know how real those smiles are.

I kept the agreement on the table and slid it towards her.
"You'll have to sign it today," I muttered.
She smiled taking the paper and then stretched it towards me and said," you told you'll read it out for me."

Nodding I took the paper from her and started reading.

"Rule number one; it's about the rent which I believe you already know about it."

She nodded while I continued.

"Rule number Two;The housemate won't be allowed to enter the owner's room without permission."

She then asked," what about when you get nightmares?"
I got stiff at the mention of that.
"I don't get nightmares, that was one time it won't happen again, and if it does you aren't allowed to enter my room."

She just nodded," ok!"

"Rule number Three; you'll have to do your chores yourself except for cleaning." And I before I could explain she asked," what does that mean?"

Rolling my eyes, I explained" It means that you will have to cook for yourself and do your dishes except for cleaning and sometimes laundry cause Samantha will be coming once a week to do that."

"You know I don't know cooking," she asked me, smile still intact on her face.
What is she smiling for?
Doesn't she expresses another type of feeling?

Tugging at my hair I replied acting nonchalant," I don't care, am not going to cook for anyone anymore."
She looked down at her plate, as if she'll cry but then smiled again and nodded," go ahead." Her voice a little sad.

Ignoring I added," Rule number Four; not being intimate with the owner,be it physical or emotional. That means no hugging."
"But I thought after yesterday we were friends," she asked a frown etched on her forehead.
"Exactly from today we won't do anything like that, rule number four includes no sharing of secret spots or any personal stories, I am your landlord I should only remain that and nothing else."

She looked at me, scrutinizing my face looking for something then asked," have I done something?"
I looked at her, she wasn't smiling anymore," I don't know, maybe."
I then looked in her eyes and asked," have you?"

She looked at me and replied without even missing a beat," I don't think so, but I'm s..forgive me?"
I didn't reply instead continued with the agreement," rule number.." but she cut me and said," I want you to nullify rule number four."

I looked at her as she continued" cause I don't want to be just your PG."
Taking a deep breath I replied," and I don't want you to be anything other than just my PG."
She took a sharp breath nodding, I could see she was holding back tears by biting her bottom lip.

Taking the agreement from me, she extended her hand for the pen and said," well let me sign for you."

Handing her the pen I said," but I haven't finished reading yet."
Her voice cracked a little but she covered it up with a smile and said," it doesn't matter,"
Handing me the agreement and getting up to rinse the dishes she spoke," my opinion doesn't matter, the agreement is going to remain the way you want."

I felt bad.
But this is what I wanted.
For her to be away from me.
And signing the agreement is best for me.
This way I won't have hopes.
Hopes of having a friend.
Hopes of having someone Oblivion to my richness.
Cause Zoya isn't oblivious to my money, or my family.

Taking the agreement with me, I headed towards my room hoping I don't get nightmares anymore.

*****