chapter Ten

***

The battles you are going through is not fueled by the words or actions of others; it is fueled by the mind that give it's importance.

****

Asad's P.O.V.

How could she be so careless?

I looked at her tear stained face. She was just un-understandable
Un-understandable? Is that even a word? Pfft! She will make me crazy one day.

Wiping her cut clean and wrapping the band-aid around I asked her," if you didn't know anything to do, why did you suggest to help?"
She should have said directly that she didn't know anything be it cooking or chopping.
I wasn't angry that she didn't tell me before but look at her, she got hurt.

I could see her clamped long lashes due to the tears as she sobbed silently.

"I..I.. thought if you knew that I didn't know anything to do with the kitchen then you won't let me live and I really needed a place to stay."
She seemed scared, I nodded as she continued," plus living with someone I know is better than living with a stranger."

Now that's strange.
How could she know me with just one meeting?
And we didn't even talk much during the journey of me dropping her to the orphanage.
Vinay was the one that kept on blabbering nonsense all the way.
And when she dropped me home? I was so drunk that she only helped me out of humanity.
And she claims to know me?

She only knows the drunk Asad and the silent Asad.
She doesn't know the hurt Asad, the angry Asad, the fucked-up Asad.
How could she trust me to live here?
I chuckled at her heading towards the counter to wipe the blood and said,"
so you think you know me?"

She gulped and said," not much but we both know each other's families, like you know the orphanage and I know Mehreen Bhabhi and Vinay."

Yeah! She doesn't know my selfish father and my cheating brother.
I chuckled again and said sarcastically," yeah right! And that's enough to know about each other to live together."

I also didn't know her well other than her home that's the orphanage and her name Zoya.
And maybe I knew a little more about her, that the way she is very good with the kids.
The only human form I dislike.
She loved kids and kids loved her too from what I had seen last month.

I headed towards the stove while she sat on the stool silently.
My back was facing her so I couldn't see her but I touched the hot rice pan when she muttered,"am sorry."

I hissed in pain.
No! Touching the hot pan wasn't painful.
Hearing the word sorry was.
I hated that word specifically.
And i had many reasons for that.

"Are you ok?"came her voice concerned laced.
Closing my eyes for second I replied,"
yes it's nothing but ... Did .. did you sign the agreement?"
I hope she did though.

Afterall, she was the one who needs the room.
I turned to see her fiddling with the fingers with her hand on her lap.
"You haven't read yet" I stated.
She raised her face looking at me smiling cheekishly.
How could she be so cute?
Wait!
What am I thinking?
Cute?
No!
Stop thinking that Asad!

She held her ears with both her hands and pouting she said," am sorry," she did looked cute but I hate that word.
"Don't!" I spat" but.." she started to say something but I stopped her," I..I mean don't say that word again, I hate the word."

"Oh! Sorry I didn't.." I looked at her with raise eye-brow.
What's wrong with this girl?
Is she doing this intentionally?
Just to irritate me?
I headed towards the counter where she was sitting to chop the onions.

"Oh sorr.. I mean i.. how would i say if you hate it? I have the habit of saying so..I mean that word every now and then..what I would I say instead of sor.. instead of that word?" She asked.
I wasn't sure if she actually felt bad for saying that word.

"Why do you have to say it all the time?" I asked curiously.
I had a feeling it had to do with something about her behaviour.

She bit her bottom lip and spoke," I always do things which make me say that word alot, why do you hate it?" She asked.

I couldn't tell her.
She is just a stranger to me.
Okay!
Maybe an acquaintance.
But still she wasn't of the level I could share my secrets with.

Taking the chopped onions for frying, I then started Peeling the golf ball sized potatoes.
"It's none of your business."

Even though I couldn't see her with my back facing her, I bet she would be rolling her eyes right now.
"Ok! Then what would I say instead of that word?" She asked.

I shrugged my shoulders and said," I don't know, maybe a word that had the same meaning but different pronunciation and spellings or you could just avoid things that make you say the word?"

The potatoes were peeled and clean, I kept the orange colour and salt and then fried them as well after removing the onions.
"Like?" She asked.

I thought of the word that could go with that word.
"Like... Maybe forgive?" I said.

"Forgive?" She asked and I nodded frying the potatoes making sure they are cooked well.
"How will I add the word forgive in a sentence like I am that word you hate for my mistake?" She asked.

Is she dumb?
I turned to look at her, trying to see why she asked me that question.
"I ask for forgiveness for my mistake!" I stated.

"Oh! Right I didn't think of that." She muttered smiling.

"Didn't go learn English?" I asked confused.
Coming to stand beside me spoke," I did but I always hated that subject so I used to miss and then fail."

That makes sense now.

"So what was your favorite subject?" I asked.
She tucked the stray hair behind her ear and said,"business" I rolled my eyes seeing her smiley face.
Everybody around me have been liking that subject now.
I wiped off that thought and started stirring the gravy for biryani.
I had already left the chicken to marinate.

"Stop staring at me Zoya," I muttered.
She was looking at me weirdly.
"I am feeling bad."she said.

Putting the marinated chicken in the gravy I asked,"feeling bad? For what?"

******

So guys what do you think Zoya Is feeling bad for?
Comment.
And also lemme know if you want a particular scene between them... I will add it for you😜
Enjoy reading
♥️ shabz_sam.