30 | level up (end)

December

Daiwa Residence

The silence in the dining room was deafening as no one dared to start a conversation, not even the ever cheerful Yua. Yuko looked at Ryo seated in front her and Yua across her, then glanced at her father preparing something on the kitchen. Kuroo, unusually nervous, held Yuko's hand under the table.

"So you got back together?" Ryo asked in a hushed voice, expecting an answer from either of them.

"We didn't really break up, Ryo-nii," Kuroo answered, strangely calling him his brother.

"Hey, who told you could call me brother?" he clicked his tongue.

"I made curry rice," Yuko's father spoke and placed a pot on the center before he took a seat at the end of the table. "It's nothing like Ryo's cooking but that would do," he added. Kuroo responded with a nod, along with a nervous smile.

Itadakimasu!

"Kuroo Tetsurou, am I correct?" her father confirmed before getting himself a share of the food.

"Yes, Sir, I am Kuroo Tetsurou," he answered politely. Unlike Ryo who had a soft flower boy face, Yuko's father looked stern and strict, intimidating even.

"And you're dating my eldest daughter."

"Yes, Sir. I am dating Yuko," he answered again, "-san," adding the honorific.

"Ondori-nii," Yua called and pointed at the pot full of curry, inviting him to eat too.

"Rooster," her father mumbled, then realized Yua was referring to his hairstyle. Kuroo thanked Yua and got himself some curry.

"How long have you been together?" her father kept asking, as expected. Kuroo didn't come here unprepared.

"2 months, Sir."

"Are you her fanboy?"

"No, Sir," Kuroo answered, which was partly true.

"What?"

"I mean, I fully support her as DiA. She's amazing at it," he clarified, in case her father got the wrong idea.

"Good."

"How did you two meet?" It was gradually becoming like an interview except that Yuko was silent and Kuroo was the only one answering.

"I was joining my friend in a gaming convention to meet and greet her, then she recognized me."

"So, it's the other way around? My Yuko's your fangirl?" her father was quick to react.

"I mean, I really like the volleyball team of Nekoma," Yuko finally spoke, "And I was elated to see him there."

"Yuko did the first move, huh," Ryo remarked, paying close attention to the conversation. "Outspoken as always."

"Oh, you go to Nekoma?"

"Yes, Sir. I'm a third year in Nekoma."

"Reminds me of Ryuka," her father mumbled as he finally smiled. "She used to go to Nekoma," he shared.

"My mom," Yuko hinted at Kuroo who was visibly a little lost on who he was referring to.

"Oh," he mouthed and nodded slightly.

"Did you go to Itachiyama before too, Sir?" Kuroo tried asking him this time to make it seem like a proper conversation and less of an interview.

"Yes, that's why these two go to Itachiyama too," he answered, nodding to Ryo and Yuko. "What do you two plan to do after high school, by the way? I haven't heard of your plans, Yuko."