25| Kisses

Kisses

"I am enough. Just not for you"
                                                 -R.H Sin

Mariana's POV

Mariana's POV

The day had actually been pretty nice
Me and Alfie worked on our own stuff for most the day, stopping for lunch and dinner together.
Other than that it was mostly small glances from across the room, tiny smiles over mountains of paperwork.

I was now taking a bath, swirling the water around between my fingers.
I could hear Alfie every now and then from downstairs, just small grumbles or the shuffling of paperwork.

I sighed, squeezing the water out of my hair and standing up, wrapping a towel around myself.
I had called Evelyn this morning after the little scene with Tommy.
She dropped off some clothes for me, I planned on staying here for one more night, then I'd go home in the morning.

I'd lost my head in that cell. I let my guard down. But not anymore.
I was grateful to Alfie for getting me out, more than he'll ever know. Or ever care to admit.
But I wasn't going to rely on him.

I wasn't going to go crawling back to Tommy either.
I was going to get my shit together and come out on top.
Sabini hadn't muscled in on my territory, he'd only taken back what we had taken.

I suppose that's a good thing though, saves him less pain when I crush him.
I put my nightgown on and headed downstairs, my hair damp and my feet bare.

Alfie was in the exact place I'd left him, sat by the fire with papers sprawled out all over the coffee table.
His glasses were perched on his nose and his sleeves were rolled up to the elbows.
If anyone was to look at him, they'd see a man who radiated nothing but pure power and dominance.

And yet when I looked at him I couldn't help but look for the small things I always did when I came in contact with him.

The small lines in his forehead, the slight rash creeping up his neck.
The way his hair fell over his forehead in a way that almost made him look adorable.
And the way his lips pursed when he concentrated on his work.

He looked at me upon my entering
"Evening" he greeted, I smiled at him and sat down by the fire, next to the table
I crossed my arms over the table, leaning my head sideways on my arms as I looked at him.
Alfie's head turned up slightly towards me, his eyes raking over me under his glasses.

"You uh- you smell nice" he muttered, leaning back over his papers and rubbing his forehead
"Thanks" I said quietly
We stayed silent after that, he continued doing work, shifting in his seat every now and then as he was hunched over to accommodate the low table.

I got up wordlessly, sitting on the back of the sofa, legs on either side of Alfie's figure, my hands coming up to rub his shoulders as he worked
He hummed in approval, leaning back into me as he continued signing things.