29| Death

Death

"Death is only dangerous to the unlived life"

Alfie's POV

Silence was blanketing me like a never ending ocean.
The entire car was silent as we made our way to the hospital
I was shoved up against the window, squeezed against Finn and Arthur fucking Shelby.

A woman was sat in the passenger seat, I'd heard one of them refer to her as Lizzie, her crying had finally died down, John Shelby behind the wheel as we followed the van in front.

Mar was being accompanied by Polly, who had shoved me away from the van when I tried to go with them.
"Can't you go any faster?" I asked, abruptly breaking the silence
"I'm going as fast as I can... so shut up or fuck off" John said through gritted teeth, his knuckles practically white as he gripped the steering wheel.

When we finally got there she was rushed into an operating room, leaving me and the pack of savages with a doctor 
"You can't go in, you'll have to wait outside" he said calmly, only to be grabbed roughly at the collar by John.

"If she dies I swear with god as my witness I'll ram a hot iron so far down your throat you'll-"
"John stop!" Polly shouted, pulling him back and telling him to sit down.
The doctor was about to join the operating room but Polly grabbed his face in one of her gloved hands.

"I've already killed one man of status today, I'll have no trouble killing another" she said deadly calm.
He nodded and she let go, he quickly scurried off into the room.

Polly sat down next to John, Arthur on her other side and everyone else sitting opposite them.
But I couldn't move, all I could do is just stare at the door she'd gone through
She had to be okay. She had to be.

"Sit down. Staring at the door won't make her come out of this any quicker" Polly said loudly, breaking the silence of the waiting room
I complied, what else could I do?
I sat down on the opposite side of the room, away from any bastard Shelby's.

And I waited. And waited. Just staring at the double white doors
Where the fuck was Tommy anyway?
No one had said anything about him this entire time.

It had been hours. Hours of nothing.
Just silence and odd comments from Lizzie or John wondering what had happened to her
Lizzie explained what had happened in the stables, proclaiming the first gunshot must have been what's caused this.

A girl had rushed through around half an hour ago, crying and screaming trying to go into the room, the youngest Shelby had gotten up to restrain her, calming her down and sitting her with him.
Who the fuck was she? She looked about 12.

I felt so angry, why would she put herself in danger like that?
Why would Tommy leave her with some pervert soldier? By herself.
And why the fuck had no one noticed she was bleeding for the rest of the day?