18

His shift was long and exhausting and all he really wanted to do was come home, slip into bed next to Alice and get a couple hours of sleep.

He heads upstairs and nudges her bedroom door open quietly, pausing when he notices another figure in the bed beside Alice. He steps closer and is surprised to find Jellybean there cuddled up against Alice's side. He smiles at the sweet sight and leaves the room again, closing the door behind him and heading down to the basement.

He's woken up a few hours later by the sound of footsteps on the basement stairs and he groggily opens his eyes to see Alice peeking her head down. "You just gonna watch me sleep or are you going to come join me?" He teases.

She smiles and tip toes over. "I didn't want to wake you, I just wanted to make sure you were home."

"Yeah I've been home for a few hours, I was gonna climb into bed with you but Jellybelly took my spot." He pulls the covers back for her to slip under and she snuggles up against him.

"She came in some time last night because she couldn't find you, she had a bad dream."

"Poor kid, I'm sorry I wasn't here, but I'm glad you were here for her. I'm glad she has you, Al."

"She's your daughter, I'll be there for your kids whenever they need me, they're important to you and therefore they're important to me."

"I love you." He whispers, pressing a soft kiss to her nose.

She smiles and kisses him properly. "I love you too. I'm about to make breakfast if you want some?"

"I'd love that," he tells her, pushing the covers off of himself. "I'll help you out."

Alice stops him from getting up. "The kids aren't up yet, can we just cuddle for a bit?"

"Sure babe, I'm always up to cuddle with you." He positions his arms around her better to hold her closer. "How are you feeling this morning? Our little one treating you well?"

"Well no nausea yet, not sure how long that'll last but I'm enjoying it. I'd say he or she is treating me pretty good today."

"I hope so," FP's hand slips around to rest on her stomach. There's not much to see in lieu of a baby bump, but her stomach is softer than before so she's sure it's only a matter of time before their baby makes his or hers presence known. "You treat your mama good, you've got a good one." 

She smiles softly and looks up at him with sparkling eyes. "You think so?"

FP gives her an incredulous look, shocked that she even questioned it. "I know so. You're an amazing mom, Al. I mean look at how you took care of Jellybean, and Betty and Polly are great kids, you did an amazing job with them and I have no doubt in my mind you'll be just as amazing with this one. And I'll be there too," he tells her shyly, letting his eyes drift down to her stomach. "To help you and love you and build you up when you need reassurance. This baby is going to be so lucky."

"It's kind of like our second chance." Alice says after a moment.

The topic of Charles is always a sore one. He had been there to console her when Chic had coldly told her she was the reason Charles was dead.

He was her first phone call when she found out that wasn't the case after a long, exhausting day of visiting Chic in prison and hounding him for answers about her first born.

But even with the knowledge that their son is still alive and well somewhere in the world, it's still painful for them to think about. Somewhere out there is a young man, half Alice, half FP, who they never got a chance to get to know.

"I still wish we had gotten that first chance." He admits with a quiet sigh. "Though I wouldn't have Jughead and Jellybean and you wouldn't have your girls."

"As horribly sad as it is that we never got to raise him, I can't imagine my life without Betty and Polly, maybe things worked out for the best. Besides, we were so young, I can only imagine how badly we would've messed that poor child up."

FP laughs, absentmindedly pilling her closer to his body. "Alright, that's probably true." He's quiet for a moment. "Maybe we could try and find him some day," He suggests. "When the kids know about you and I and will hopefully handle the news that they have a brother well."

"You'd really want to meet him?" Alice's eyes are hopeful, gleaming with tears ready to fall.

"Of course, Al, he's our son. I'd love to meet him, see if he has your eyes, or your smile, God, I hope he has your smile."

"I hope he has yours. Your cute, crooked smile. And your big brown eyes. I'd be happy if he was your spitting image. He did look a lot like you when he was born," She recalls. "He had my lips though."

FP smiles. "I'm sure he was beautiful." He scoots down lower on the bed and pushes Alice's shirt up enough to show her stomach, and she smiles as his stubble tickles her skin when he presses a kiss to her belly. "And I'm sure this little one is going to be beautiful too. Gosh, I can't wait to meet you."

The comment sends Alice's pregnancy hormones into a tailspin and the tears that were wetting her eyes turn into a full on sob fest. FP looks up at her with a concerned look on his face, scrambling back up the bed to cater to her. "Hey baby, what's wrong? Are you okay?"

She nods, curling into his arms and burying her face in his chest. "My hormones are just a little out of whack right now, and you're being really cute." He laughs, pressing a kissing to her head as he runs his fingers calmingly through her blonde tresses.

"I'm sorry I made you cry, honey." He leans his head against hers. "I love you."

"I love you too." She whispers, tilting her head up to give him a kiss. "You owe me breakfast now though," she tells him. "For triggering my hormones."