43

"Ah, ah, ah, cheater." Alice scolds as she and FP play cards. He had borrowed a deck from the nurses station to keep them entertained since the doctor was running behind. "See this is why we make you and Fred partners whenever we have a game night, you both cheat."

"I'm not cheating!" He defends.

She raises an eyebrow at him but before she can respond, a knock on the door gathers her attention. She looks towards it, expecting to find the doctor finally coming to tell her what's wrong, but instead finds her daughter. FP looks towards Alice, watching as a wide grin comes to her face. "Betty? What are you doing here?"

"I heard you were here," she says, walking over to her mom and FP. "I wanted to check on you. Make sure everything is okay."

"Really?"

She nods. "So? Is it? Are you okay? Is um... is the baby okay?"

Alice's face falls slightly. "We're not sure yet. We're waiting on the doctor to come check me out."

"But," FP interjects. "We're staying positive, everything is going to be just fine."

"Yes. That's right."

FP looks at the two of them, he can tell that Betty wants to say something, so he stands up from the bed. Alice reaches for his hand immediately. "Where are you going?"

"I'm just gonna run to the bathroom real quick, I'll be back in a few minutes." He gives her a small smile and let's go of her hand, heading out the door to give her and Betty some privacy.

Betty stands awkwardly beside Alice's bedside, fiddling with the bracelet on her wrist. "Are you okay, honey?" Alice asks, noticing that something is off with her daughter. Betty nods, not making eye contact with her mom. Her face crumples and Alice sees a tear fall down her check. "Hey, hey, what's wrong?" She reached for Betty's hands, concern filling her voice.

"I was just so scared." Betty admits. "I got that call from FP and I... I was ignoring him at first. I wasn't going to answer." Alice's face softens. FP called her? "I answered just to yell at him and tell him to stop calling me, but when he told me you were here I just felt like the worst person on the planet."

Alice frowns. "Oh Betty."

"I've been so horrible to you both, if something is wrong it's my fault."

"How would it be your fault?"

"Because I've put you and FP through so much stress and pain , that can't be good for you or the baby. I'm the reason you're here."

"No you're not," Alice tells her firmly. "If something is wrong, it is not your fault, Elizabeth."

She sniffles. "It's not?"

Alice shakes her head. "No, of course it's not." She pats the spot next to her. "Come here."

Betty slips into the small hospital bed beside Alice, hugging her tight. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be, you didn't do anything wrong." Alice assures her, pressing a kiss to her hair.

"Juggie and I were so horrible to you both."