Meggy

Peggy lay curled up on the couch, a hot water bottle pressed to her stomach as she tried not to move and feel that agony rip through her mid-section. Maria walked back through from the kitchen, a sympathetic look on her face.

"Pegs, how are you feeling? Do you want anything? Chocolate? Tea?" she tried, sitting next to her girlfriend and gently moving a strand of her hair out of her face. Peggy just shrugged, her face contorting with pain at her small movement.

"I'm fine. Periods just suck, ya know? I don't really want anything, but thanks anyway, Ree," she said, struggling to smile. Maria smiled at her softly, tenderly stroking her girlfriend's face.

"Alright, then. I'm going to go grab my laptop and put the TV on and then I'll come back and we can cuddle and watch TV shows that are way too young for us. Sound ok?"

Peggy nodded, curling up a little bit tighter under her blanket. "Sounds good," she whispered, her eyes starting to flutter shut. Maria sent her an adoring look and walked towards their bedroom, grabbing her laptop and then leaving.

She went back to Peggy, sitting down and easing the poor girl's head into her lap. Peggy looked up, a smile on her face. "Hey," she said, arching her back as a stretch, wincing slightly.

"Hi," Maria replied, a smile matching Peggy's lighting up the room. "What'd you wanna watch?" she asked, clicking onto Netflix and scrolling through their list.

"What is there?" Peggy asked, already knowing but wanting to hear more of Maria's voice.

"Well, there's a bunch of kids shows that we've seen before, so no," Maria started. "Actually, we've watched everything on our list on our period account." Peggy struggled to sit up to get a better look, clutching her stomach.

"Well then, let's find something new," she said, taking the remote from Maria and scrolling down. "What about this? Howl's Moving Castle. It looks like anime. Could be interesting?" Maria giggled at her girlfriend.

"You just wanna watch it, don't you?" she teased. Peggy shrugged and nodded her head, already playing it.

"What can I say? You love me too much to say no," she replied, the same teasing undertone to her voice as Maria had had. "But don't worry. I love you too. So if you don't want to watch this, just say the word and it'll be gone."

Maria laughed, kissing Peggy's nose lovingly. "It's fine. I'll just work," she said, opening her laptop. Peggy whined slightly as Maria's attention was turned away from her to numbers. "Pegs, I've gotta look over these figures for my boss by tomorrow," she explained, not looking away from the document sent over from her boss.

Peggy huffed. "Fine then. Since you obviously love your work more than me..." That got Maria's attention.

"What? Peggy, you don't mean that," she said, tears filling her eyes. Peggy noticed this and her eyes widened with horror.

"Of course I don't baby. You know how I get on my period. I didn't mean it," she said, wiping away Maria's tears as they fell. "Besides, you're not Alex." That made Maria laugh and Peggy smile.

"I'm sorry," she said sincerely. Maria just smiled at her, closing her laptop and putting it to the side.

"It's fine babygirl. I can just pull an all-nighter," she said, pulling Peggy closer. "Wouldn't be the first time. I'd rather spend time with you anyway."

Peggy smiled, curling up into an even tighter ball, wincing slightly at the discomfort.

Maria noticed this and held her even tighter. "It won't be so bad after today," she comforted. "You know the first day's always the worst."

Peggy nodded, her eyes never leaving the screen. Maria smiled at her girlfriend even though she wouldn't see and kissed her head.

Peggy nuzzled into Maria and the two of them just kept watching the screen until the end credits rolled.