Part Seventy One

Kami’s POV

The breezy September air flows in through the open window as I take a deep breath, adjusting my veil in the mirror so that it hangs ever so slightly against my blond waves. My mom comes up behind me, an envelope in her hand. “Your dad wanted you to have this on your wedding day,” she says, her eyes watering with tears as she gives me a sad smile. I bite my lip, not caring if my makeup gets messed up and then pull her into a hug. “I really wish he could be here, Mom,” I whisper sadly to her. “He’s still here,” she tells me softly back. “You just can’t see him.” 

She leaves the room to get ready for the ceremony and I slowly open the letter. I know I have to get ready for my walk down the aisle soon, but I need to read this first. I can feel my hands trembling as they open the letter, tears already threatening to burst out of my eyes. 

Dear Kami, 

I want you to know that you make me the proudest dad in the entire world. Each day I get to see how far you’ve come and how far you still have to go. You never cease to amaze me with how you prove people wrong and prove that you can do whatever you set your mind to. 

If I don’t get the chance to tell you, know this: I love you with all my heart and I’ll always be the happiest person in the world to know that you’re my daughter. And I will never, ever stop loving you, no matter what happens. 

Don't give up on your dreams, on true love, on anything. I know you will find a way to make anything you want come true and I'll be right behind you to support you through whatever you need. 

Love, Dad.  

My eyes well up as I close the letter. My heart beating slowly in my chest, wishing my dad could be here, to walk me down the aisle, to watch me marry Corey, to let me tell him that I love him. It would mean the world to me just to see him, to know that he could be proud of me again. Just one more time. 

Corey’s POV

I fidget at the aisle, Jonny on my left as my best man, followed by Patrick, Duncan, and some other friends of mine. All the bridesmaids have walked down, along with my parents and Kami’s mom. There’s a little sign next to her spot that says “Gone, but not forgotten,” for Kami’s dad. I know today must be hard for her, despite us getting married. She misses him more than anything, especially because they were so close. 

The doors open at the back of the church and everyone stands up. My eyes are focusing only on her as she makes her way down the aisle, alone in person, but with her dad walking by her in spirit. Her dress trails behind her, a vision of lace, delicate pink flowers held in her hands, wrapped by a white ribbon. 

When she comes up to the alter, there’s a few tears in her eyes. I gently lift her veil and take her hand. “I love you,” I whisper and she gives me a smile back, tilts her head up to the ceiling and then looks back at me. “I love you, too," she whispers.

“You may kiss the bride,” the minister says and I take Kami, swooping her down low as I kiss her, the sparks erupting in the back of my mind. The whole church is cheering as I bring her back up, her cheeks flushed pink, her smile so wide that I can’t help but break into one, too. I swoop her up, a giggle escaping from her mouth and carry her down the aisle, our friends and family all bursting out in more cheers and laughter. As I set her in the getaway car, they throw flowers and I lean down and kiss her again, the sparks renewing themselves with each kiss. 

Kami's POV

I take Corey's hand for the first dance, my heart still beating quickly from the day's activities. It feels like the butterflies will never go away, but right now, I love the feeling it. Corey presses up against me, his hand in mine, the other one on my back as we start dancing. Our first dance song is "I won't give up," by Jason Mraz, a song that Corey and I first danced to when we started dating. I hug up against him as I listen to the words, the guitar gently accompanying the beginning of the song. 

When I look into your eyes

It's like watching the night sky

Or a beautiful sunrise

There's so much they hold

And just like them old stars

I see that you've come so far

To be right where you are

How old is your soul

I won't give up on us

Even if the skies get rough

I'm giving you all my love

I'm still looking up

And when you're needing your space

To do some navigating

I'll be here patiently waiting

To see what you find

Cause even the stars they burn

Some even fall to the earth

We got a love to learn

And God knows we're worth it

No I won't give up

I hug Corey even closer to me as we dance, tears welling up in my eyes, thanking God for this moment between us, to have someone to share my life with. "Thank you for not giving up on me, Corey," I whisper. I can feel his hands squeeze ever so slightly around me. "I'm never giving up on you," he whispers back. "I'll be here, no matter what you need. Don't forget that." I look into his eyes, and lean in to kiss him. "I promise I won't." 

Only one more chapter left in this book! I hope you're all as excited to read the sequel as I am to write it. Can you guess who it's centered around? Here's a hint: She's a certain player's daughter.