Part Six

Kayla's POV

My heart is threatening to burst out of my chest. Why Patrick? Why not me or some random person? My mind flashes back to the moments before the car came. 

Jonathan had gone upstairs and Corey and Kami were curled up on the couch, falling asleep. Patrick asked me if I wanted to get food, so I said yes and we left the house to go to the 7-11 that was a couple blocks away. Patrick was a bit drunk from all the beer he had been drinking, but he was fine enough to walk. When we got down the driveway, my phone pinged with a new text. I think the alcohol must have been getting to Patrick because he grabbed my phone and looked at the message. *One new message from Brandon Saad* "So you're getting with other guys now, eh?" he slurred. "What?" I ask, confused. "Pat, what are you even talking about?" I say, trying to take my phone back from him. He holds tight to it, and instead of giving it back to me, flings it into the street. "I can't believe you Kayla. You think you can cheat on me? Think again." I have no idea what he is even talking about, but I'm assuming he's just had way too much to drink. He storms off into the street and then the car hits him. The guy didn't have his lights on and he was going really fast. Pat flies like a ragdoll and falls onto the road as the guy speeds past.

I clench my hand tighter around Pat's, watching as my knuckles turn white. I want to scream out loud, grab Pat and just hold him. The ambulance pulls up in front of the hospital after what seems like a million years. They quickly wheel Patrick off and into the hospital, and I run after them, Jonny right on my heels. They go straight past the double doors where there's a sign that says "Emergency Staff Only." I ignore the sign and continue trying to follow Pat. The security guard at the door stops me, saying "You can't go past here, miss." "You don't understand, that's my boyfriend that they just took in there!" I feel the tears threatening to tumble down my cheeks again. I start struggling against the guy, trying to get through him so I can see Patrick, make sure he is ok. Jonathan comes up behind me and takes my hand. The tears start falling as he leads me over to the waiting area. When we sit down, he hugs me and tells me "Everything is going to be alright," but his voice wavers a bit and I don't know if he even believes himself.

Jonathan's POV

Kayla tries getting past the security guard, but he won't let her follow Patrick. I take her by the hand and try to calm her down in the waiting area. She's sobbing and I try to get her to tell me what happened, why she and Pat were outside to begin with. She tells me the whole story, while her body quivers with sobs escaping in big, long gasps. "He's going to make it." I tell her, trying to be comforting, though I'm not even sure if Pat will be okay. Lifting her head from her hands, Kayla looks and me and whispers, "He has to be, Jonathan, because I'm pregnant."