Chapter Six: Incandescence

September 21st, 2015

Shaye knocked on Lyria's door the next morning to see if the girl was awake. She waits until Lyria answers it. She's dressed in something new, a red shirt with black pants and a cardigan. "Good morning," Shaye says and Lyria sighs softly before responding.

"Morning..."

Shaye senses some tension between them and she sighs. "Dartanian told you about your parents," the taller girl states and Lyria nods, "I didn't want to tell you, make you feel worse. You had been given a lot of information yesterday," Shaye says, "I didn't want to overwhelm you."

Lyria smiles a little before looking at her again. "It's okay. Dartanian likes to be blunt," she murmurs, "I know why you didn't tell me, don't worry about it."

Shaye smiles a little before responding. "Thanks," she murmurs before taking a deep breath, "breakfast is ready. Wanna come down and eat?" She asks and Lyria smiles softly before answering the brunette.

"Yeah," the younger girl says and follows Shaye downstairs, straight into the kitchen.

"Well, good morning Lyria," Delilah's condescending tone echoes through the room and the young girl stares at her for a moment before serving herself some pancakes.

Dartanian watches Lyria as she sits down and starts eating. He smirks when Delilah attempts to stare the teenager down. "Careful Delilah, you'll burn holes into the wall," Dartanian says and Delilah sits up straighter in her chair before continuing to eat. Lyria looks over at Dartanian who gives her a nod. She smiles before tying her hair into a bun to ensure it won't get into the syrup.

"How'd you sleep?" He asks her and she looks at him before responding, sighing a little in annoyance.

"Fine, thank you," she responds.

Once they're finished with breakfast, Dartanian shows Lyria to the training room. They step inside a room that's had steel plating put in place on the walls and the ceiling. "This is weird," Lyria murmurs and Dartnian chuckles before shutting the doors.

"It's fireproof," he tells the young girl who looks at him skeptically.

"I hope so," she murmurs before he brings her into the center of the room.

"Okay, I'd take off your cardigan if I were you," he says and she looks up at him, "this material is highly flammable," he warns her and she groans before taking it off and tossing it aside. She unties her hair, then puts it into a high ponytail before being instructed by Dartanian.

"So...what do I do?" She asks him, completely unsure of the next step.

He smiles softly before looking up. Lyria looks up and watches as nails come out of the ceiling, the steel being pulled downward. Then Dartanian wiggles his fingers and the steel goes back into place, the nails going back to their spots in order to keep the steel in.

"How do you do it?" She asks him and he comes over to her, having her hold out her hand, palm facing up.

"Take a few calming breaths," he instructs and she does as he says, "it won't come to you immediately. Just relax."

"I am relaxed," she says and he chuckles.

"You're not. I can tell you aren't. Just breathe, try to picture the flame in your mind," he says and she scrunches her eyebrows together, trying to make it happen, "let it happen, don't force it."

"I can't do it," she says and he allows her to sit down on the floor.

"It took me a long time to understand it too. And, your body is still changing," he informs her.