Chapter Seven: Blaze

September 25th, 2015

Lyria isn't allowed to go to school because of her newfound powers. Since she can't control them yet, or even produce a small flame, she has to stay at the house. She hates when Delilah tries to approach her or gives an attempt to speak with her.

Luckily she has Shaye to back her up. Shaye has requested to stay at the house with Lyria while she trains up. "I can't do this," Lyria murmurs as Shaye sits across from her on the bed, "I'm not one of you...I-"

"You are. It just takes time. It took me a few weeks to master my Element. You just have to let go. You can't concentrate...that's what makes it harder for you to control it," she tells the blue-eyed teen. Lyria looks at her, still misunderstanding.

"You're using a double negative...I have to let go in order to control it? That makes no sense," Lyria murmurs and Shaye smiles at her.

Shaye holds out her left hand and with her right, wiggles her finger in a circular motion as a small plant begins to grow in her palm. "I am Earth. You are Fire. You are the Fire. I am the Earth. Do you know what I mean?" She asks and Lyria nods slowly. "Okay. So, physically I am the element Earth. You are the physical form of Fire. All you need to do is think of that, and you'll be able to form a flame," Shaye tells her and has Lyria hold her palm out.

Lyria takes a deep breath before allowing herself to let go. She smiles a little as she relaxes, feeling a bit of warmth in her hand. She opens her eyes to see a small flame dancing in her palm. Lyria smiles wide before looking at Shaye. "You did it! See? I told you," Shaye congratulates her and Lyria smiles before the flame dissipates.

"I...I guess I am," Lyria murmurs before smiling a bit, "you're a better teacher than Dartanian. He's not very warm towards anyone," Lyria says and Shaye nods before having Lyria turn around, "what are you doing?"

Shaye smiles before beginning to play with Lyria's hair. "I wish my hair was wavy like this, but it's straighter than pins," she says before beginning to braid Lyria's hair, "I always wanted a sister so I could do her hair up, and her makeup. But my parents only had one child," she explains and Lyria smiles before asking a question.

"What about Fleur?" The blue-eyed girl asks and Shaye smiles a little before responding.

"Fleur isn't really sweet. She wouldn't let me touch her hair even if I offered to pay her. She's very much like her mother, but I don't blame her. Her mother isn't kind to her own daughter. Fleur spends most of her time in her room, sometimes she cries, though she won't admit it," Shaye murmurs before tying the end of the braid, "go look in the mirror."

Lyria stands and looks at herself in the mirror, smiling when she sees the braid. "It's a fishtail braid?" Lyria asks and Shaye nods.

"I have a knack for braids. When I first turned sixteen, I holed myself up in my room for a good two months, looking up many things, most of them being hairstyles. I practiced them on myself since Fleur refused to let me touch her hair. And I got good at it I suppose. You look nice with a fishtail," she says and Lyria smiles before allowing the taller girl to try out another hairstyle on her.

Dartanian doesn't expect to see Lyria coming downstairs...looking happy for the first time since she's been here. And her hair partially done up. "I assume Shaye has been practicing on you," he says and Lyria smiles before shrugging.

"I don't mind if she does," the blue-eyed girl says before looking up at him, "Dartanian..."

The boy sighs before raising an eyebrow at her. "Yes?" He asks, somewhat annoyed. He looks at her once more. She does look beautiful like that, with some of her hair out of her eyes.