CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Quote of the day: home resides in our heart, without heart there is no love, without love there won't be a family and family makes a house a home.  So do cherish your family.

Ashley stood in front of Greg's office. She was nervous as hell, she had worn the blue gown she wore for the dinner meeting back in Spain simply because she loves it, and it makes her feel kinda sexy...well she knows she is sexy.

   She let her auburn hair down, which was a first because her hair was always in a neat bun whenever she was at work, but today was definitely an exception.

   Ashley had decided after much deliberation and Chloe's talks that she was going to date Greg Marshall, and for the first time, she would be doing something simply for herself, and because it made her happy.

   She remembered the discussion she and Chloe had after she followed her into her room last night.

  "So Greg asked me to be his girlfriend," Ashley said after giving Chloe a hard time. Chloe's reaction had been what she was expecting, she screamed and fanned herself with her hands.

  "So you mean to say that you and Greg Marshall are finally dating?" Chloe screamed with so much joy that Ashley couldn't help but be confused.

   "I didn't say we were dating," She said to make sure her friend hadn't lost her hearing.

   "You said he asked you to be his girlfriend so..." Chloe said with an eye roll, then it dawned on Chloe. Chloe's face changed into utter bewilderment. "Do you mean to tell me that you rejected him..." she half screamed raising her hands in shock. Ashley wanted to talk but Chloe didn't give her the chance. "I knew you were a little stupid but I didn't know how much, how could you reject..."

   "I didn't reject him Chloe," she screamed so as to get Chloe to stop talking.

  "You didn't," Chloe said with relief.

"I said I would think about it."

  "Ohh perfect, so what are you going to say," Chloe asked. Ashley could hear the fear behind her friends voice.

   "Chloe I can't date Greg."

"Why?"

  "Because..."

"Don't tell me it is because of your father and whatever happened with his parents?" Chloe said with an inquisition tone.

   "Yes Chloe, he doesn't know who I am. What if he founds out later and hates me, and moreover Nora..." She tried explaining to Chloe, but was cut off.

   "Oh please don't go on about Nora,  please don't...if Greg had any feelings for that bitch he wouldn't have asked you out. Greg likes you, and you like him, that is all that matters," Chloe said in a sharp tone that indicated finality.

  "Chloe, Nora is Greg's sister," Ashley said. Ashley wasn't the least bit surprised by the look of shock on Chloe's face.

   "What! The Marshalls only have a child, and that is..."

   "She has been hidden all her life Chloe... "

   "How do you mean? Is she illegitimate?"

   "No, she is the second child of Greg's parent. His mother had to hide her from the world, and it was all because of what my father did..." Ashley said. She stopped her voice from breaking, tears clouded her vision as she stared at Chloe's face. "Now Nora has to stay in a mental institution and its all my fathers fault, its because of him that Greg's family had to go through that Chloe, I feel so sad and how do you expect me to..."