veintidos

i should be the older sister in this family, ashley thought. she believed that her emotional maturity was more constant than her siblings.

she watched in silence as corbyn paced from side to side, banged on the wall and sat on his bed holding his face in frustration. she had always seemed so curious to her how corbyn and jordan were so bad at dealing with their emotions. they were extremely smart boys but the moment they had to deal with some kind of feeling they went very very very dumb.

ironies of life. i guess nobody can be perfect.

"have you calmed down yet?" asked the blonde girl sitting on the small sofa in the corner of the room.

corbyn didn't say anything, just pursed his lips, looking away.

ashley let out a sigh. zach wasn't mean, he was funny, funny, kind, but the youngest of the besson knew that he had come to hurt her brother with his words.

but even if corbyn was an asshole, he was still her brother and when someone hurt him or messed with him, ashley couldn't help but get upset.

corbyn flopped back on the bed, his eyes on the ceiling.

"you shouldn't have let him get to you with that." his sister warned him.

her voice was full of assurance.

"i don't regret hitting him." answered him.

"violence was never the answer, corbs."

"don't start with your moral speeches now, ashley."

another sigh. "they are not speeches, you have to learn to manage your emotions."

"emotions..." the blonde boy gave her a sarcastic laugh. "that's the fucking problem, things were so simple when i didn't feel anything."

"but you weren't happy."

then the room was filled with silence.

somebody knocked the door. "ahead."

martha, the maid, entered with an uncomfortable expression on her face, probably sensing corbyn's bad mood. "i brought the drinks as you ordered but your guests have left."

that got the attention of her brother who sat up, and spoke. "everyone left?"

ashely knew what his question meant. corbyn wanted to know if daniel was gone.

martha nodded. "yes, all of them."

a flash of sadness crossed her brother's green eyes, and though he struggled to hide it quickly, martha and ashley noticed it.

martha gave the youngest of the bessons one last closed-mouthed smile and left. "it's normal for them to leave, we leave them alone." the youngest explained trying to assuage the disappointment on his face.

"i don't understand him." corbyn whispered so low that ashley could barely hear him.

"daniel?"

"i'm trying to get it right and i just feel like i'm pushing him further and further away." that surprised his sister. corbyn had never told her about his feelings or his personal life.