veintiséis

saskia crossed her arms over her chest, "i asked you a question."

daniel cleared his throat. "my name is da-daniel." he extended his hand to her in a kind way.

she took a look at his hand and then looked back at him, "well, da-daniel," she teased his stutter, "what are you doing here?"

"i-i came with corbyn." daniel couldn't feel less comfortable, he wanted to leave. he just stayed there for corbyn. corbyn was worth it.

at the mention of corbyn, the lady raised an eyebrow, "are you kidding me? why would corbyn bring you?"

be brave, the brunette told himself. be yourself.

"why don't you ask him that?" daniel recognized that voice. it was the kind lady who worked at corbyn's house, martha. she always greeted him with a smile. she had just come up behind saskia "oh right, communication with her children is not her strong skill."

daniel's mouth hung ajar. martha protected him. he couldn't adore that woman more.

saskia purses her lips, "don't start with that little tone you have, martha, the least you want is to provoke me."

"then stop looking at jim like that, you don't even know him."

corbyn's mother gave them a tired look, "i don't have to waste my time with you, where is my husband?"

martha didn't answer her, she just pointed to the door, and the lady entered, leaving them alone and at last, daniel felt he could breathe.

daniel grabbed his chest, "what a horrible lady."

martha gave him a closed-mouthed smile, "you have no idea."

daniel looked at her in surprise, "but you don't seem to be intimidated by her."

"i have been in that house for many years, i think i developed the ability to deal with intimidating people very well."

it makes sense, daniel remembered how intimidating jordan was, and even corbyn himself before getting to know her well and now this lady, martha must definitely be immune to those kinds of strong personalities, after being surrounded by them.

"i guess you're right, i just thought that since she's your boss, you-"

"would you allow her to intimidate me and treat me badly?" martha finished for daniel, "she is not my boss, mr. besson is, and he has always protected me from her, especially after..." she stopped, "i think that i have talked too much about myself, tell me about yourself."

daniel sighed and they sat down, "there's not much to tell, just that i've fallen under the bessons' spell."

martha smiles at her, "i can see that, but i see you've already gotten that idiot to admit his feelings."

"how do you know?"

"because you are here," she replied, "grandpa besson is one of the most important people to them, the fact that you are here says a lot."

martha knew corbyn had fall hard for daniel for more than that little visit but she wasn't going to tell daniel about the afternoons corbyn had spent crying in his room. that was something private, corbyn was the only one who could tell about it.