Chapter 8: Diary

"So what did you want us to meet up at your house?" Yumie asked, hint of excitement in her voice. Ai calmly let them inside her home and offered them a cup of tea.

"Ah I see now." Yumie spoke as she slurped down the tea and placed it on the tan colored countertop table. "You found an old diary."

Ai narrowed her eyes. "Not just an diary. A diary from eight hundred years ago....Under the giant tree." she also put her cup down. "That tree has been there longer then the house. At leasts that's what the neighbors tell me."

"Ah you came to us because....it's the diary of those three....our ancestors." Runa confirmed and Ai nodded with certainty. "I have no idea where Hisako, Midori, Moe, Ayano, and Sora are, they wouldn't respond to my messages."

Yumie folded her arms. "Something must have come up. They did tell us that they were planning something, but I don't know what."

Ai shook her head dismissively. "Well they'll be missing out on this..." she placed a small, broken box in the middle of the table. "I only took a peek. That's all."

Yumie and Runa craned their necks as Ai placed her fingers on what was left of the box's cover. She pulled the broken cover and pushed it to the side of the table. Dust particles filled the air, making Yumie cough and sputter. Very gently, Ai pulled out a broken quill.

It had been a white and black quill, mostly likely from a goose. Runa thought that if she had seen it in it's former glory it would have been beautiful. She took it from Ai's hands and inspected it. There were so many missing pieces to the feather part of the quill, including multiple cracks. Sadly, she knew the quill could not be fixed or used any longer. It had already served its purpose in writing it's companion, a thin brown covered book, or what appeared to be a thin book with decaying yellow pages.

Ai held it out for all to see. Some of the pages were falling out, the ink faded or blurred, with one flip of a page, surely the pages would come loose. Ai set it down. "Here it is." was all she said.

"Look inside! Look inside!" Yumie chanted, Ai obeyed and opened the first page as softly as she possibly could. "Do you want me to read it?" she asked.

Yumie nodded her head so hard it looked as if it would fall off, Runa spoke rather then shaking her head. "Yes, please."

"All right." Ai took a deep beath and began to read.

To anyone who finds this, I hope it is our descendants or any future Samurai Precure. We buried this under our favorite tree in hopes of it being rediscovered when the time was right and you would need it the most.

In here are our precious memories and history, even as we long turned to dust and perished.

She flipped the next page, Yumie and Runa were so close to her she felt their breath.

I - Akemi Kaito.

I never expected to be writing in such a...what was it that the Coordinator called this? Oh, a ''diary'' of some sort. I've never heard of such a word. We decided to swap between turns to write in here. It had started out as a fun activity to record our stories and adventures. I agreed to bury under my favorite tree, to which everyone agreed. It made me very happy. Right now I'm in my backyard, one of the many shrines that I live in is here before me. I hope it still stands even as I grow older.

"Ah....I know what shrine she's talking about...." Runa blurted out. "The one that had been relocated before this house was built, right?"

Ai shook her head in agreement. She looked out a nearby window to the backyard. There was the tree, it's green leaves seemed to dance in the sunset's breeze. "I feel like we should go to the tree....and read it there....it feels more....real that way."