Chapter 43 (Ashton)

I turned around and got decked in the chin by Will.  I stumbled back and wiped the blood from my mouth.

"It's over Will." I said putting my hands up in surrender.  "I don't want to fight with you anymore and the police are on their way."

"I should have killed you on that night when I had the chance." he said holding up the shovel as if he was going to swing it at me.

"You don't have to do this.  I know Charlotte is your best friend and that she loved you.  Don't you care about her happiness?" I asked while slowly backing away as he got closer with the shovel.

"Of course I do," he said softening his expression a little, "but I also care about her well being.  Which is why I know she doesn't deserve scum like you."  He then swung the shovel and missed as I ducked down.  I ran behind the tree when he swung again.  I was defenseless.  I grabbed a large tree trunk that I could lift to protect myself from his blows.  The sharp edge of the shovel sliced the sleeve of my shirt, exposing bloody flesh.  I winced in pain as I kept fighting.  His shovel then dug into the tree trunk and I pushed him backwards, making him lose his balance and hit his head on the tree behind him.  He became unconscious and fell to the ground.  I put the tree trunk down, exhausted.  I saw the ground move beside me.

"Charlotte!" I said going to me knees and digging the dirt like a dog.  I managed to steal the shovel from Will and carefully dig up her body.  She coughed and choked the air into her lungs.

"Oh my god, Ashton!" she said in relief.

"I got you Charlotte!" I said lifting her up out of the pit and sitting her up so I could try loosening the ropes.  She was finally able to step out of the last tie around her legs.

"How did you find me?" she asked putting her arms around my neck.

"Just instincts.  I knew Will was behind this.  Also, with a bit of help." I said looking back at Lily and Danielle.  She ran back to Lily and Danielle to hug them and thank them.

The police showed up to take a half-unconscious Will into custody.  The paramedics showed up to check on Charlotte's health and to bandage up my arm.  When we were both considered healthy, I joined Charlotte.  We waited for the police to be done gathering questions from Lily and Danielle, since one of the cops said that he could give us a ride back to Charlotte's place.

"I never thought I'd see you again," I said taking her hands, "but I always wished that you'd remember me."

"Thanks to your song I did." she said, moving my floppy hair out of my eyes.

"I guess your flat will be lonely." I said.

"It will," she said sighing.  "I'll miss it."

"You'll miss what?" I asked tilting my head in questioning.

"I'll miss my flat.  But I'd rather be with you, if that's okay?" she asked putting her hands around my neck.

"You mean you want to come with me?  On tour?" I asked with a wide smile.

"Of course I do." she said rising on her tiptoes to try to get to my level.

"But what about your job with Topshop?" I asked.

"I could be doing any job anywhere," she said closing the space between us, "as long as I'm with you, I'll consider myself happier than anyone."  And with that she attached our lips.  I couldn't be more content in that moment.  I felt like my life was finally complete.  No more did I have to have a thousand girls to satisfy me.  As long as I had this one girl beside me, I could feel like I was at the top of the world.