Chapter 16 (Ashton)

I opened the door to Charlotte's room in the ICU.  She looked so fragile laying in her hospital bed.  I sat down on the chair that was next to her and ever so gently grabbed her hand, afraid that it could crumble in mine.  Her hand was so cold against my cheek.  The only warmth I felt was when my tears fell.

"Charlotte, please," I said.  "Don't leave me here, not now.  You've changed me in the best way possible.  Because of you, I'm able to feel something for someone."

I could now taste the salt in my tears.  I heard knocks at the door and Michael's head peering in.

"Hi, mate," he said now fully opening the door and exposing the rest of the lads.  I got up from the chair and gave him a massive hug.

"It'll be okay," Calum said, joining in the hug and rubbing my back as I sobbed in Michael's shoulder.  Luke also joined in the group hug, his arms surrounding me from behind me.

"I didn't know you guys were coming," I tried to say through my sobs.

"We had to get our drummer back," Michael said pulling away from me to look at my face.

"Sorry guys," I said wiping my nose on the sleeve of my shirt.  "I just couldn't leave her."

"I'm sure she'll wake soon, and when she does, it'll be the way it was between you two," Luke said.

"We better get going soon," Calum said.  "The tour bus is waiting outside and fans are starting to crowd."

"Okay," I said with a sigh.

"Let's say goodbye to Charlotte," Michael said walking towards the bed.  "We haven't seen her since that night."

They all then took turns saying their best wishes to her recovery, kissing her forehead and grabbing her hand.  Once they were done, I said my last goodbye.

"Goodbye for now, Charlotte," I said trying to not let the tears spill.  "I'll come back for you."

I planted a kiss on her forehead and walked towards the door.  I turned around to see if some magic in the kiss would wake her, but I saw her in the same state.  I slowly closed the door.